Time: Sat Jun 21 03:30:39 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id DAA26178;
	Sat, 21 Jun 1997 03:19:58 -0700 (MST)
	by usr01.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id DAA01124;
	Sat, 21 Jun 1997 03:19:51 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 03:18:19 -0700
To: fwolist@sportsmen.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: States referred to as "countries"

28 U.S.C. 297 was written to solve the problem
that arose when Alaska's courts were clogged,
and they asked a federal judge to sit in,
to alleviate the backlog.  He explained that
there was no authority for same, so an Alaskan
Congressman amended Title 28, to make this kind
of temporary assignment possible.  The "freely
associated compact states" to which section 297
refers are the several states of the Union.
They are not the "Compact of Free Association"
cited at 48 U.S.C. 1901.  Check the legislative
history for proof.

I hope this helps.