Time: Thu Jul 03 06:12:36 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id GAA18149
	for [address in tool bar]; Thu, 3 Jul 1997 06:07:35 -0700 (MST)
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 05:43:07 -0700
To: heritage-l@gate.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: L&J: "The Tulips of Gettysburg," by Paul Mitchell

And may Our vaulted Congress never again
be so arrogant, as to send troops once more
against Their own People.  And may this Land
be, once again, indivisible by race, creed,
color, gender, or any destructive political
ideology.  And may all who aspire to the
high calling of American Citizenship, be
welcomed with pride, and hope, and love,
regardless of accent or national origins.
For, when We no longer cherish each other,
we stop cherishing Ourselves.  And may the
blood they shed enrich the ground from which
the tulips grow, to nourish their gentle signs
of everlasting life.  Amen.

/s/ Paul Mitchell
Counselor at Law

>.c The Associated Press
>
>GETTYSBURG, Pa. (AP) - His bones lay in an unmarked battlefield grave for
>more than 130 years, his fate known only to his brothers in arms, who buried
>him where he fell from a bullet to the head.
>
>On Tuesday, an unknown soldier, killed in the battle of Gettysburg and found
>last year, was buried by a military honor guard. On his casket were two
>roses, placed by widows of Civil War veterans.
>
>``His honor is about all we know about this soldier,'' said the Rev. Daniel
>Hans. ``We do not know if he lived on a farm or in a town. But we do know
>that he loved his home enough to fight for it and die for it.''
>
>A bugler blew ``Taps'' and soldiers fired a 21-gun salute - three volleys
>from seven rifles - before the solemn burial detail folded a U.S. flag with
>rigid precision. A brass band struck up ``My County 'Tis of Thee'' for a man
>whose identity remains unknown.
>
>``We do not know if he wore blue or gray ... we do not know if he sang `John
>Brown's Body' or whistled `Dixie,''' Hans said. ``But we do know that his
>soul belonged to God, as we all do.''
>
>Historian James McPherson, author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning book,
>``Battle Cry of Freedom,'' said that regardless of which army the soldier
>fought for, the end of the Civil War meant unity and healing for the nation.
>
>Seated graveside were two women thought to be among the longest-surviving
>widows of Civil War soldiers. Both were young brides to aging veterans who
>died in the 1930s.
>
>Daisy Anderson, 96, now of Denver, was the wife of Robert Anderson, an
>escaped slave from Kentucky who joined the Union army. Alberta Martin, 90, of
>Elba, Ala., was married to Confederate infantryman William Jasper Martin.
>
>The National Park Service arranged the burial after it was determined that
>the remains found in March 1996 on the Gettysburg battlefield belonged to a
>soldier. He was found in an area where fighting occurred on the first day of
>the 1863 battle, the anniversary of which was Tuesday.
>
>Archaeologists surmised that the man, estimated to be in his early 20s, was
>buried where he fell, placed in a shallow grave and covered quickly.
>
>``It's almost certain that on that occasion, no words were spoken, no
>Scriptures read, no prayers offered,'' Hans said. ``Now we have the luxury,
>the privilege, the duty to pause and to give honor to this young man.''
>
>AP-NY-07-02-97 0714EDT
>
>For the Rights of the South,
>Craig Cole
>Heritage Preservation Association
>Preserving Our Heritage
>Member, SCV Florida Div. Heritage Committee

email:   [address in tool bar]       : using Eudora Pro 3.0.2 on 586 CPU