Time: Fri Jul 04 07:40:32 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id HAA03420;
	Fri, 4 Jul 1997 07:40:40 -0700 (MST)
	by usr07.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id HAA23810;
	Fri, 4 Jul 1997 07:40:31 -0700 (MST)
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 1997 07:38:46 -0700
To: fwolist@sportsmen.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: keeping citations handy

On the question of organizing cites,
I use a neat feature in MS-WORD for DOS,
Version 5.0B.  You can insert from a
menu of names which you create.  Thus,
I begin by highlighting the text:

  "Hooven & Allison v. Evatt, 324 U.S. 652 (1945)"  [no quotes}

and then copy it to my Insert menu as

  "Hooven"

Thereafter, if I am typing and need to
type this citation into my text, I simply do:

  ESC-I   [execute INSERT function]

followed by "Hooven" or F1 [function key F1].

In the latter case, F1 displays a menu of
names which identify the text options I can
insert at the cursor location.  A "name"
maps into anything from a single character
to an entire encyclopedia.  Just cursor
down to the one you need, and press ENTER.

This feature is called a Glossary in
MS-WORD for DOS, Version 5.0B.

It is very handy indeed.

It is best to let your associative brain
select the cite name.  Chances are, that part
of your brain will keep the most current
"name" in cache.

I do this around the office all the time.

I ask my associative brain where something is,
and a picture forms.  I go to that place, and
if the thing I am looking for is NOT there,
I will put it there, because my associative
brain is hard to alter.  This is called
"moving the object to its permanent address."

Computer programmers know all about this trick!