Time: Sat Jul 05 14:37:45 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id OAA15373;
	Sat, 5 Jul 1997 14:31:04 -0700 (MST)
	by usr03.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id OAA02727;
	Sat, 5 Jul 1997 14:30:27 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 1997 14:30:26 -0700
To: ilatal@ort.org.il
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: 18 U.S.C. 2340

I would spend more time studying "lawful sanctions"
in the context of "cruel and unusual punishment."
No punishment could be lawful if it is cruel or
unusual.  On first impression (mine), I would
say that the qualifier "lawful sanctions" saves
the statute to which you refer.  "Lawful" is a
very powerful adjective, probably THE most powerful
adjective you will find anywhere in American
jurisprudence.  Now, the problem is this:  what
is "lawful" and what is "not lawful"?  Notice,
by comparison, where the statute states "under
color of law";  this is something entirely different
from "lawful".  In fact, "color of law" is equivalent
to "unlawful", because it only gives the "appearance"
of law and, hence, is not law.

I am standing by.

/s/ Paul Mitchell