Time: Mon Jul 07 13:00:07 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id MAA23366;
	Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:53:09 -0700 (MST)
	by usr07.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id MAA26957;
	Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:52:45 -0700 (MST)
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 1997 12:52:41 -0700
To: fwolist@sportsmen.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: "There is no such thing as a citizen of the United
  States."

[This text is formatted in Courier 11, non-proportional spacing.]

     A citizen  of any one of the States of the union, is held to
     be, and  called a  citizen of  the United  States,  although
     technically and  abstractly there  is no  such  thing.    To  <---!!!
     conceive a citizen of the United States who is not a citizen
     of some  one of  the States, is totally foreign to the idea,
     and inconsistent  with the  proper construction  and  common
     understanding of the expression as used in the Constitution,
     which must  be deduced  from its  various other  provisions.
     The object then to be attained, by the exercise of the power
     of naturalization,  was to  make citizens  of the respective
     States.
                            [Ex Parte Knowles, 5 Cal. 300 (1855)]
                                                 [emphasis added]

                             #  #  #