Time: Tue Aug 12 14:45:28 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id OAA04272;
	Tue, 12 Aug 1997 14:41:44 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 17:41:00 -0400
Originator: heritage-l@gate.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
To: pmitch@primenet.com
Subject: SLS: What is your country?

My "country" is Arizona, pursuant to
28 U.S.C. 297, where Congress refers
to the several states as "countries" and
also as "freely associated compact states".
I live in Arizona country.

The Guarantee Clause is now being actively
litigated in Gilbertson's appeal to the
Eighth Circuit in St. Louis.  If you read
it very carefully, you will discover that
the United States (federal government) is
obligated to guarantee a Republican Form of
Government to the several states, but it is
NOT obligated to guarantee such a Form to
itself.  Thus, Congress has been free to
create a legislative democracy within the
federal zone, and among the subjects
of that zone.

All federal citizens (a/k/a "citizens of
the United States") are subject to the
municipal jurisdiction of the federal zone,
because citizenship is a term of municipal law.

So, to summarize, the state zone is
guaranteed a Republican Form of Government,
but the federal zone is not required to be
Republican in Form.  For this reason, Congress
has exploited this construction of the Guarantee
Clause to create a democracy for the people
and land over which Congress has exclusive
legislative jurisdiction.  See Downes v.
Bidwell, Harlan dissenting, 1901.  His prescient
words are quoted in "The Lawless Rehnquist" in
the Supreme Law Library at the URL just below
my name here:

Sincerely,