Time: Mon Aug 18 10:35:43 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id KAA25830;
	Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:30:33 -0700 (MST)
	by usr03.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id KAA19489;
	Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:27:22 -0700 (MST)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:26:05 -0700
To: MSmith6791@aol.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: email and privacy: our voluntary program

>BUT WHAT IS THIS:
>supremelaw@ibm.net

This is an experimenal (and private) address
which we are trying to keep OFF the usual
list servers.  You may use this one, if you like,
but we encourage you to enroll in the Supreme
Law School first, so we can justifying giving
you higher priority.  Otherwise, you may have
to wait weeks for us to answer.  Fair enough?

IBM.NET also supports the new U.S. Robotics
x2 56Kbps standard via local dial-up, whereas
our local Primenet dial-up number does not.

FYI, following my signature here is the
"boilerplate" we are sending out to people
who appear to be violating others' fundamental
Right to privacy, by displaying recipient lists
in the "Cc:" lines of their broadcasts.  Please
feel free to cut-and-paste this boilerplate,
and propagate to your own contacts.  This
voluntary program has been a fabulous success
to date.  It is nice to get good news, for a
change, yes?  :)

Here is what we do with this boilerplate:

1.  identify in-bound email which displays
    recipient addresses in the "Cc:" line;

2.  Use Eudora Pro's "Forward" option to
    return the offending message to the sender(s),
    with their email addresses in the "Bcc:"
    (blind copy) field, NOT in the "Cc:"
    (carbon copy) field;

3.  snip away everything following the last
    email address in the "Cc:" line of the
    offending message;

4.  merge the boilerplate in front of the copied
    "Cc:" line and associated recipient addresses;

5.  do NOT copy this Forward to those addresses;
    experience has shown that they don't like
    to learn about our privacy program in this way;

6.  if Internet users are motivated to investigate
    email software which supports the "Blind Copy"
    feature, direct them to the Qualcomm website
    at URL:

       http://www.qualcomm.com

    This website has a free 30-day trial version of
    the Eudora software, for both Windows 3.1 and
    Windows 95 versions (MAC too!)  The Qualcomm
    website is also listed in the registration
    materials for the Supreme Law School.

I hope this helps!

copy:  Supreme Law School

[boilerplate now follows:]

Dear Friend,

With this message, we are launching a voluntary
program to improve privacy on the Internet, and
reduce the quantity of unwanted email which we
all receive.  We are staunch advocates of
self-government -- the best form of government!

We have decided to focus this effort on the
frequent use of email lists which are visible
to the recipient.  In Eudora Pro, this is done
by pasting a list of email addresses into the "Cc:"
field of a message.  See example(s) below.

Eudora Pro, like other modern email programs,
also has a blind copy feature, which is found
in the "Bcc:" field instead.  This feature has
the result of suppressing the entire list,
instead of displaying it to the recipient.
We used this feature to send this message to you.

Our voluntary effort now is to encourage people
like yourself to switch to blind copies, if and
when you decide to broadcast any message to
a list of recipients.

As part of this program, we are also recommending
that list server software be modified, so that
the sender's email address is NOT displayed in
messages which are distributed to everyone on
any given email list.  This feature of list servers
would be the "default," which could be changed
by the user, but ONLY by the user.

If you have received what you might regard as
"unwanted" email from us recently, it is most
likely because your email address (and name)
were sent to us in a "Cc:" field.

Please consider switching to blind copies,
and pass this message along to your contacts
who are adding your email address to their "Cc:"
fields as well.

Thanks very much!

/s/ Paul Mitchell
Counselor at Law