Time: Fri Aug 22 10:38:06 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id IAA13071;
	Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:38:20 -0700 (MST)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:38:12 -0400
Originator: heritage-l@gate.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
To: pmitch@primenet.com
Subject: SLS: Northwest Ordinance

And, quite wonderfully, the Northwest Ordinance
was written at approximately the same time as
the U.S. Constitution was being drafted.  This is,
even today, considered to be a nearly perfect
example of good legislation, by Congress no less!

To be eligible to serve in the local legislature
of the Northwest Territory, one had to be a:

  "citizen of one of the United States"

This is one of the important keys we have found:

  Citizen of ONE OF the United States
             ^^^^^^

That is the proper construction, and common
understanding, of the term:

  "Citizen of the United States"

as the latter term is found, even today, in the
Qualifications Clauses:

  1:2:2, 1:3:3, and 2:1:5

  House, Senate and White House, respectively

Memorize these numbers:  they refer to
Article : Section : Clause -- a short-hand
we invented and use in court pleadings.

The far-reaching implications of properly
constructing this term, are explored in some
depth in Gilbertson's OPENING BRIEF, now
available in the Supreme Law Library at the
URL just below my name here: