Time: Sat Aug 30 17:35:09 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id RAA28955;
	Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:29:25 -0700 (MST)
	by usr05.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id RAA05235;
	Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:27:39 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:26:02 -0700
To: ocs@xpresso.seaslug.org (Bill Vance)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: Councillors At Law vs. Lawyers/Attorneys

Have you seen the definition of "Counsellor at Law"
in Bouvier's Law Dictionary (1856)?

We have a comprehensive brief on this subject,
which we scanned and then embellished, from
some materials which a client gave to me
last year.  The problem stems, in part,
from the meaning of "represent", which breaks
down to "re-present".  Only someone else can
"re-present" you, because only you can "present"
yourself.  The Sixth Amendment is the key
authority, because people who "present" themselves
are, of course, entitled by fundamental Right to
have assistance of Counsel.  This means that you
have the Right to turn to your Counsel, at any time,
and obtain counsel, even if it takes a long time
to get that counsel.  Courts are for deliberating,
and they have been very successful at "rushing"
litigants, in order to defeat the positive effects
of proceeding slowly and deliberately.  I told a
federal judge in California once that it was impossible
for me to appear by my "representative", because I had
never authorized anyone else to appear in my place,
and it was patently impossible for me to "re-present"
myself, because such could only be done by someone else!
For this reason, his ORDER was impossible to obey.
Lex non cogit impossibilia.  For reasons which he
never explained, he dismissed the case, quietly,
I might add.  The pleading I submitted will soon be
in the Supreme Law Library.

copy:  Supreme Law School