Time: Sat Sep 20 19:24:25 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id TAA22026;
	Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:08:15 -0700 (MST)
	id WAA03670; Sat, 20 Sep 1997 22:06:17 -0400 (EDT)
	id WAA03639; Sat, 20 Sep 1997 22:06:12 -0400 (EDT)
	id AA16864; Sat, 20 Sep 1997 22:06:12 -0400
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 12:37:38 -0700
From: Radar <nurev@Kreative.net>
To: snetnews@world.std.com
Cc: "C.U.Farley" <nurev@Kreative.net>
Subject: Re: SNET: SLS: Notes on the Christian Imagination

->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List

Psyberdude wrote:

> ->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List
>
> At 12:18 AM 9/20/97 -0700, Radar wrote:
> >
> >->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List
> >
> >Paul Andrew Mitchell wrote:
> >>
> >> ->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List
> >>
> >> It is really a telling story,
> >> when people would sooner hurl such
> >> inane insults at one of the world's
> >> great religions, rather than to
> >> give it a try, say, for a year, or a month --
> >> you know, for a test drive, or some such
> >> vernacular.
> >>
> >> My goodness, they might have to admit they
> >> were wrong about being holy!  Such a
> >> terrible admission -- that so few are
> >> capable of being honest with themselves.
> >>
> >> Mary Magdalene was hardly what we would now
> >> call an "exemplary citizen" -- being a
> >> rather prosperous, and hyper-active,
> >> prostitute, about to be stoned to death
> >> by the neighborhood.  Her life was changed
> >> immeasurably by admitting, in her heart,
> >> that what she was doing was wrong.  There
> >> was only one Neighbor who could see into
> >> her heart at that moment, however.
> >>
> >> The only comparable analogy in our culture
> >> would be this:  call girls who are "caught"
> >> would be fed into those tree branch "chippers"
> >> to create mulch, for ground cover, one limb
> >> at a time.
> >>
> >> You see, this is the message of the New Testament:
> >> forgiveness, not eye-for-an-eye, and certainly
> >> not blood-thirsty vengeance.
> >>
> >> If you have never experienced forgiveness, then,
> >> by all means, do give it a try -- either by giving it,
> >> or by receiving it.  Until then, you may never really
> >> KNOW what you are talking about.
> >>
> >> /s/ Paul Mitchell
> >> http://supremelaw.com
> >
> >Forgiveness? Love? " Not bloodthirsty vengence "? What religion are
> >you babbling about? It's certainly not Christianity. Don't you people
> >read history books? There has never been a bloodier more murderous
> >period in human history than the dominant Christian Era.
> >
> >The Crusades were a psychotic spree of theft and mass murder. Crusaders
> >wound up slaughtering as many turban wearing Christians, as they did
> >the " Infidel ".
> >
> >European Christianity has wiped out entire continents of inocent people
> >with viable cultures of their own. Don't you know what the " Black
> >Robes " did in Canada? Or what the Spanish and Portugese missionaries
> >did in South America?
> >
> >You are unbelievable (literally).
>
> What Radar has said is so very true.  I think Paul was refering to the less
> bloody Christians of today.

You mean in this century ???

> What he (Paul) doesn't seem to understand is
> that today's Christians are not like their predecessor's were, because they
> have no real power.  The reason that the people of this day and age aren't
> being slaughtered because they don't believe in Christ, is because of
> separation of church & state.

Yes and no. The Christian Coalition and religious right are forcing
their
two faced politicians to try to demolish the separation of church and
state.
Politicians love this because it keeps Americans on both sides riled up
about emotional issues, while they help their rich donors loot and
destroy
the U.S. economy.

> This is the very reason that we cannot allow
> Christians, Jews, Moslems, Scientologists, or any religious group to ever
> reach a state of political power, because if that scenario ever occurs, the
> rest us who don't believe in their particular ideology will be sitting ducks.

Quack quack.
Chuck U Farley

-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to majordomo@world.std.com
->  Posted by: Radar <nurev@Kreative.net>