Time: Sat Sep 20 19:37:18 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id TAA28158
	for [address in tool bar]; Sat, 20 Sep 1997 19:29:31 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 22:27:46 -0400
To: bkpowell@map.com
From: Bob & Karen Powell <bkpowell@map.com>
Subject: L&J: <FWD> OPPORTUNITY to stop funding of National Testing, Goals
  2000 and School-to-Work

forwarded message:

Please get this word out to as many people as possible as soon as possible.

From:             CALVINL158@aol.com
Date sent:        Sat, 20 Sep 1997 10:11:06 -0400 (EDT)
Subject:          URGENT FAX ALERT  9/20/97

F A X  A L E R T  C  S E P T E M B E R  1 9 ,  1 9 9 7
THE OPPORTUNITY OF THE DECADE:
A CHANCE TO STOP FUNDING FOR NATIONAL TESTING, SCHOOL-TO-WORK, AND GOALS 2000

*Requested Action:
We are at a crossroad - if we do not win in Conference Committee, we lose.
The Conference Committee is scheduled next week (possibly by the 26th) to
vote on National Testing and the defunding of School-to-Work, Goals 2000, and
$13 billion worth of federal education programs.

In order to stop funding of National Testing, Goals 2000 and School-to-Work,
immediately call all the Representatives and Senators from your state on the
list below and give them this message: "Support the Goodling Amendment to
stop all funding for national testing - the Senate's so-called compromise is
not acceptable! Also support the Gorton Amendment to the Labor/HHS/Education
Appropriations Bill which will return $13 billion worth of educational
control to local communities.@ The Capitol Switchboard number is (202)
224-3121 or call toll free, 888-723-5246.

If your Congressman and Senator is not on the Conference Committee list, call
the White House and register your opinion with President Clinton. Tell the
White House official AI disagree with the President's National Testing
proposal and think it's a waste of time and taxpayer dollars. Also, I support
Senator Gorton's proposal to send federal education spending directly to
local schools without strings attached.@ The White House Switchboard number
is (202) 456-1414.

Below is a list of the Congressmen and Senators who are on the Conference
Committee for the  Labor/HHS/Education Appropriations Bill. Call all the
Senators and Congressmen in your state who are on the committee regardless of
whether you live in their district. We need each one to support both the
Goodling and Gorton Amendments.

Senators:
Sen. Arlen Specter (R-PA) 202-224-4254 (Chairman)
Sen. Thad Cochran (R-MS) 202-224-5054
Sen. Slade Gorton (R-WA) 202-224-3441
Sen. Christopher Bond (R-MO) 202-224-5721
Sen. Judd Gregg (R-NH) 202-224-3324
Sen. D. M.  Faircloth (R-NC) 202-224-3154
Sen. Larry Craig (R-ID) 202-224-2752
Sen. Tim Hutchison (R-AR) 202-224-2353
Sen. Ted Stevens (D-AK) 202-224-3004
Sen. Robert Byrd (D-WV) 202-224-3954
Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) 202-224-3254
Sen. Dale Bumpers (D-AR) 202-224-4843
Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) 202-224-3542
Sen. Herbert Kohl (D-WI) 202-224-5653

Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) 202-224-2621
Sen. Ernest Hollings (D-SC) 202-224-6121
Sen. Daniel Inoyue (D-HI) 202-224-3934

Representative:
Rep. John Porter (R-IL) 202-225-4835 (Chairman)
Rep. Bill Young (R-FL) 202-225-5691
Rep. Henry Bonilla (R-TX) 202-225-4511
Rep. Ernest Istook (R-OK) 202-225-2132
Rep. Dan Miller (R-FL) 202-225-5015
Rep. Jay Dickey (R-AR) 202-225-3772
Rep. Roger Wicker (R-MS) 202-225-4306
Rep. Ann Northup (R-KY) 202-225-5401
Rep. Bob Livingston (R-LA) 202-225-3015
Rep. David Obey (D-WI) 202-225-3365
Rep. Louis Stokes (D-OH) 202-225-7032
Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-MD) 202-225-4131
Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) 202-225-4965
Rep. Nita Lowey (D-NY) 202-225-6506
Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) 202-225-3661

*Latest update on National Testing:
Congratulations on all your hard work! On September 16, after over 3 hours of
debate, the Goodling amendment to stop all funding for national testing  won
by a significant margin  of 296  to  125. Now it moves to Conference
Committee to be reconciled with the Senator Coats compromise. No doubt
Congressman Goodling would enjoy any thank you notes you might send. He stood
strong in the face of compromise in the House.

During the debate, Congressman Goodling did a masterful job of delineating
all the reasons why national testing should be opposed. He condemned the
Senate compromise of last week as "a positively, totally inadequate
unacceptable remedy."  He said the National Assessment Governing Board (NAGB)
would become "pretty much a national school board" under the Senate
compromise. Illustrating the error of national testing as a means of curing
the educational decline in America, he said "If someone is in the cattle
business, they do not fatten cattle by constantly putting them on scales and
weighing them."

Goodling continued, "We are going to hear some say, 'Oh, but this is
voluntary.' Nonsense! What federal program do my colleagues know, once it was
started, is voluntary?"

Members of the Black Caucus came down hard against national testing. Major
Owens of New York said "national testing is counterproductive and oppressive"
 and "such a test is merely a measure of the status quo."  He said Clinton's
testing plan is "just a highly visible. . . piecemeal, isolated gimmick."
 Maxine Waters pointed out that the national test would involve unacceptable
"tracking" of students and that it "disproportionately penalizes the poor and
disadvantaged."
Meanwhile, the Hoekstra amendment in the House, which would have defunded
Goals 2000, School-to-Work, and many other programs, was withdrawn for lack
of support. However, Senator Gorton's Amendment is alive and well and will
actually defund more programs than Hoekstra would have. The next major battle
is in the Conference Committee when Goodling's and Gorton's Amendments are
considered.

Thank you again for your diligence. Please remember to pray! The battle
belongs to the LORD.

 The National Center for Home Education - P.O. Box 3000 - Purcellville, VA
20134
 V: 540-338-7600 - F: 540-338-9333 - E: cap@hslda.org - Web:
http://www.hslda.org