Time: Sun Sep 21 17:56:07 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id RAA24965;
	Sun, 21 Sep 1997 17:52:19 -0700 (MST)
	id UAA29841; Sun, 21 Sep 1997 20:46:12 -0400 (EDT)
	id UAA29810; Sun, 21 Sep 1997 20:46:01 -0400 (EDT)
	id AA22002; Sun, 21 Sep 1997 20:46:00 -0400
	by usr05.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id RAA00815;
	Sun, 21 Sep 1997 17:40:31 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 17:40:13 -0700
To: burro@panama.gulf.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SNET: Online Groups Mount an Effort To Fight Clinton on
  Encryption-NYTimes

->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List

Dear Bull,

Take this:

00010101010011010101011110001010101010100100101111110101010110!!!

trigger.panama.gulf.net (8.8.6/8.7.3) with SMTP id GAA13405 for
<burro@panama.gulf.net>; Sun, 21 Sep 1997 06:56:58 -0500 (CDT)
>Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 07:58:46 -0400
>From: tmulkern@mail.ameritel.net (Trent C Mulkern)
>To: cas@majordomo.pobox.com
>Subject: Online Groups Mount an Effort To Fight Clinton on Encryption-NYTimes
>
>September 21, 1997
>

>          Online Groups Mount an Effort
>          To Fight Clinton on Encryption
>
>          By JERI CLAUSING
>
>                 WASHINGTON — Online civil liberties groups,
>increasingly alarmed by the momentum that the Federal
>                 Bureau of Investigation has been building in the
>Congressional battle over encryption, will mount a
>          telephone lobbying campaign next week.
>
>          On Monday, thousands of people are being asked to place calls
>to members of a key House committee, urging
>          them to reject a proposal that the groups fear will lay the
>infrastructure for widespread surveillance of citizens by
>          the United States government.
>
>          "Stop the government from building Big Brother into the
>Internet," states an alert that went out on Thursday to
>          more than 200,000 people on the Internet, urging them to call
>members of the House Commerce Committee.
>
>          "In 1948, George Orwell described a future world in which Big
>Brother peaked over the shoulder of every citizen
>          -- watching every move and listening to every word," the alert
>states. "Now, in 1997, the FBI is pushing the United
>          States Congress to pass legislation which would make George
>Orwell's frightening vision a reality."
>
>          The alert, published by the Center for Democracy and
>Technology, the Voters
>          Telecommunications Watch, the Electronic Frontier Foundation,
>Wired Magazine and
>          Americans for Tax Reform, is just the latest in a yearlong
>campaign to fight the Clinton
>          administration's attempts to gain the keys to data-scrambling
>communications technology
>          like the software that keeps e-mail private and secures online
>commerce.
>
>          But the tone of the campaign is getting more urgent as the
>House Commerce Committee prepares to take a key
>          vote Thursday on the Safety and Freedom Though Encryption act.
>
>          That bill was drafted by Representatives Bob Goodlatte,
>Republican of Virginia, and Zoe Lofgren, Democrat of
>          California, to thwart the Clinton Administration's efforts by
>outlawing any key-recovery systems for encryption
>          technology and by relaxing current export restrictions on
>encryption software. It was passed by the House
>          International Relations and Judiciary committees earlier this
>summer and picked up more than 250 co-sponsors.
>
>          In recent weeks, however, it has fallen victim to intense
>pressure from President Clinton's top crime fighters in the
>          FBI and National Security Agency who claim they need immediate
>access to online and other communications to
>          catch terrorists and drug dealers.
>
>          After a series of classified briefings on Capitol Hill, the
>National Security Committee added an amendment that
>          would actually tighten current export controls, and the
> [...]

-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to majordomo@world.std.com
->  Posted by: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]