Time: Mon Sep 29 06:50:40 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id GAA02842;
	Mon, 29 Sep 1997 06:50:35 -0700 (MST)
 09:49:37 -0000
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 06:44:23 -0700
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: FYI: Eudora Pro 3.0.3(32) on Windows 95

Dear IBM,

We scheduled a major system upgrade from
Windows 3.11 to Windows 95 for yesterday,
and the day before, because weekends are
generally the best time for such major
disruptions.

However, we ran into a severe problem which
prevents Eudora Pro 3.0.3(32) from working
at all with IBM.NET, even though the 16-bit
version 3.0.3(16) works just fine.  All that
your tech support people could tell us, is
that we need to contact Eudora.  Since they
do not work on weekends (and we do), we were
stuck for 10 hours on both days, trying to
isolate the problem (20 hours total).

Also, in downloading the latest Eudora Pro
updater from their website, we discovered
that this file has changed in size, although
it still has the same name.  To confirm this
finding, we started the download on two
separate machines:  a 586/200 with Win95
connected to IBM.NET, and a 586/100 with
Windows 3.11, connected to Primenet.  Even
though the Win95 machine has a 33.6K modem
and much faster processor and disks, the
download from IBM took more than twice as
long.

Are you throttling the throughput
of downloads for certain users?  If so,
why?

Also, do your tech support people have
information about this Eudora Pro problem
which they refused or neglected to share
with us?

I am a busy professional, like you, but neither
of us has time to waste.  I certainly do          [was "don't"]
I think it would have been proper for your
tech support people to inform me of the nature
of this problem, and/or to search for an answer
and get back to me, so that I could have spent
the past 20 hours on something more productive,
rather than spinning our wheels on an
unsolvable error.

Does the term "Remote Passphrase Authorization"
mean anything, to which you might be able to
respond?

What follows is proof that the download via
IBM.NET was twice as slow as the simultaneous
download via Primenet using a slower CPU,
slower modem, and much slower disks (compressed
drives at 16MB/sec. v. uncompressed drives at
33MB/sec.)  In other words, the slow download
rate is being caused by your equipment, quite
obviously.

We are still evaluating IBM.NET as our
recommended ISP for medium to heavy email
and website traffic.  Unless these problems
can be corrected timely, I regret to inform
you that we cannot recommend your technology
at this time.

We look forward to your immediate response,
and corrections, to these problems.

copy: Supreme Law School, Qualcomm, The Internet