Time: Thu Aug 07 20:42:47 1997
	by usr08.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id RAA05264;
	Wed, 6 Aug 1997 17:40:53 -0700 (MST)
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 17:39:52 -0700
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS:  Who "signed" the Constitution?

The states, under the Articles of Confederation,
"signed" the U.S. Constitution, and they had
standing to do so, under the Declaration of
Independence.  They are the Real Parties of
Interest to that compact.  See Article VII,
and the record of state ratifications.  Don't
forget, there was a Congress under the Articles,
and the states were fully functioning sovereign
governments;  that was the legal effect, in
international law, of severing their political
relationship to the King of England.  The language
which Thomas Jefferson used in that Declaration
was legally sufficient to render the several
states as Sovereign, Free, Independent nations --
able thereby "to do all other Acts and Things
which Independent States may of right do."

"And for the support of this Declaration,
with a firm reliance on the protection of
Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each
other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred
Honor."

Amen.