Time: Sat Aug 23 07:57:45 1997
	by usr03.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id HAA05655;
	Sat, 23 Aug 1997 07:12:02 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 07:10:38 -0700
To: "Kathie" <kathiem@mail.microserve.net>
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: Kevin Harris/Double Jeopardy

"It has been uniformly held that the States
 are separate sovereigns with respect to the
 Federal Government because each State's power
 to prosecute derives from its inherent sovereignty,
 preserved to it by the Tenth Amendment, and not
 from the Federal Government.  Given the distinct
 sources of their powers to try a defendant, the
 States are no less sovereign with respect to each
 other than they are with respect to the Federal
 Government."

      [Heath v. Alabama, 474 U.S. 82, 89-90 (1985)]