Time: Fri Aug 08 15:46:59 1997
	by usr08.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id NAA21297;
	Fri, 8 Aug 1997 13:16:17 -0700 (MST)
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 13:15:11 -0700
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Habeas Corpus - FORMS
Cc: Dale Robertson <habeascorpus@hotmail.com>

Many thanks to Dale Robertson for
being so generous here with necessary
forms for the THE MOST EXTRAORDINARY
WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS.  We are all
indebted to you, Dale, for your
kindness and consideration to share
these files with Us here.

copy:  Supreme Law School

attachments

<snip>

>TO: LLAW - COUNSELLORS ALL - & 275 OF MY CLOSEST FRIENDS
>FROM: DALE ROBERTSON
>SUBJECT: HABEAS CORPUS
>DATE:    FRIDAY, 8 AUG 97 @ 13:00 CDT
>
>Recently the list has been in lively discussion of the Great Writ of
>Habeas Corpus - or - as I prefer to refer to it as THE MOST
>EXTRAORDINARY WRIT OF HABEAS CORPUS.
>
>Some members have been inquiring as to format and content of a typical
>habeas action. I have had the privilege to write and employ a few of
>these writs of habeas corpus over the last 20 years or so and I am happy
>to submit to the list a sample of a recent writ (one of some 15 this
>year so far) which was successfully deployed earlier this year in
>Dallas, Texas.
>
>However, I have added comment about the attached files containing the
>actual pleading form used, and I would like to impose on the reader of
>this somewhat loquacious post some added editorial/explanatory
>commentary at this time.
>
>There has been much comment on this list as to the wisdom of using
>common law or statutory law (or other) procedure in employing habeas
>actions to relieve someone of a restraint on their liberty. Because of
>my experience and its seeming exclusive and successful employment in the
>State of Texas of the statutory habeas procedures,  I am from that
>experience alone biased toward the statutory choice of procedure. It
>works - a bunch of folks got out of jail - - OK?  This is by no means
>any expression of disparagement toward the common law.
>
>I am quick to say that because Texas is one of the few states in which
>the right of the common law writ has been very carefully preserved at
>the constitutional level. Further, Texas is the only state in which the
>writ of habeas corpus has been elevated to constitutional prerogative
>and at the same time empowered with such boilerplate enduring language
>which was and is intended to NEVER allow the suspension of the writ
>under any circumstance. As most of you know, the US const. Art. 1/9/2
>states that the writ shall not be suspended except in the case of
>rebellion or invasion or until the president or congress says so. As you
>will recall, President Lincoln conceded to his Generals in the Civil War
>the suspension of the writ by executive order - arising from the civil
>disturbances of the civilian population of Baltimore Maryland sniping at
>and generally firing on Union troops marching south to the raging
>conflicts of the civil war in 1861/2. And, I add, the local police
>refused to enforce Union instigated process against its citizens who
>fired on Union Troops.
>
>As noted, and as is generally known, the Writ of  Habeas Corpus was
>suspended by President Lincoln during  the civil war.  Chief Justice
>Roger Tanney, in the case of Ex parte Merryman (See: Ex parte Merryman,
>17 Fed. Cas. No.9, 487, p.144 (1861)) strongly excepted suspension of
> [...]

Attachment Converted: "C:\ATTACH\APPLEAVE.doc"

Attachment Converted: "C:\ATTACH\ORDER_G6"

Attachment Converted: "C:\ATTACH\_APPWRIT.doc"

Attachment Converted: "C:\ATTACH\DISCHG.doc"

Attachment Converted: "C:\ATTACH\Order_G7"

[This text formatted on-screen in Courier 11, non-proportional spacing.]From ???@??? Fri Aug 08 15:47:53 1997
	by pocari-sweat.jprc.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) id QAA20471;
	Fri, 8 Aug 1997 16:41:56 -0400