Time: Thu Sep 11 15:08:51 1997
	by usr02.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id NAA23632;
	Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:22:24 -0700 (MST)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:22:14 -0700
To: TWStough@aol.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Is Bill of Rights enforceable in several states? (fwd)

In order for a prospective state to be
eligible to join the Union, its constitution
must be adjudged Republican in Form by Congress.
THE KEY prerequisite is a provision in that state
constitution which recognizes the U.S. Constitution
as the supreme Law of the Land.

If the prospective state's constitution does
NOT have such a provision, then:
it is NOT Republican in Form, and it can be
excluded from the Union, until such a provision
is put into it.  For this reason alone, the
U.S. Constitution, including of course the
Bill of Rights, is the supreme Law in each
and every state of the Union, pursuant to the
Guarantee Clause.

But, be advised that, to be entirely eligible
to invoke the U.S. Constitution within your
Union state, you must also be a state Citizen.
Federal citizens, on the other hand, are members
of an association who owe their allegiance
to a jurisdiction which is NOT protected
by the Guarantee Clause.

Read it and study what it says:  "The United
States shall guarantee to every State
in this Union a Republican Form of Government ...."
It does NOT say that the United Staes will
guarantee to itself a Republican Form of Government.

Notice also that the United States is bound by
the Guarantee Clause to protect each Union State
against invasion.  This implies, of course, that
the federal government is prohibited itself from
invading the several States.

FYI: we are litigating the construction of the
Guarantee Clause right now, in Gilbertson's
OPENING BRIEF, available in the Supreme Law
Library at the URL just below my name here: