Time: Fri Sep 19 13:18:32 1997
	by usr09.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id NAA27769;
	Fri, 19 Sep 1997 13:00:02 -0700 (MST)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:59:48 -0700
To: snetnews@world.std.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Notes on the Christian Imagination

It is really a telling story,
when people would sooner hurl such
inane insults at one of the world's
great religions, rather than to
give it a try, say, for a year, or a month --
you know, for a test drive, or some such
vernacular.

My goodness, they might have to admit they
were wrong about being holy!  Such a
terrible admission -- that so few are
capable of being honest with themselves.

Mary Magdalene was hardly what we would now
call an "exemplary citizen" -- being a
rather prosperous, and hyper-active,
prostitute, about to be stoned to death
by the neighborhood.  Her life was changed
immeasurably by admitting, in her heart,
that what she was doing was wrong.  There
was only one Neighbor who could see into
her heart at that moment, however.

The only comparable analogy in our culture
would be this:  call girls who are "caught"
would be fed into those tree branch "chippers"
to create mulch, for ground cover, one limb
at a time.

You see, this is the message of the New Testament:
forgiveness, not eye-for-an-eye, and certainly
not blood-thirsty vengeance.

If you have never experienced forgiveness, then,
by all means, do give it a try -- either by giving it,
or by receiving it.  Until then, you may never really
KNOW what you are talking about.