Time: Tue Oct 07 19:03:56 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id SAA09610;
	Tue, 7 Oct 1997 18:58:23 -0700 (MST)
	id VAA28760; Tue, 7 Oct 1997 21:52:56 -0400 (EDT)
	id VAA28724; Tue, 7 Oct 1997 21:52:50 -0400 (EDT)
	id AA06957; Tue, 7 Oct 1997 21:52:46 -0400
	by usr05.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id SAA00415
	for <snetnews@world.std.com>; Tue, 7 Oct 1997 18:52:43 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 18:52:01 -0700
To: snetnews@world.std.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SNET: FRAZIER THE FELON!!!!!

->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List

I can tell you this much:  I learned to fire
a 9mm semi-automatic, from a teacher who had
variously been a judge, cop, and prosecutor.
The things I heard him say to me, I had never
ever heard anywhere else -- not on television,
not on the radio, not in newspapers, and not
in movies.  He was particularly emphatic when
discussing the proper way to fire a shotgun,
loaded with a single, large, ball bearing shot.
The task is to keep from injuring yourself,
as the assailant recoils with a 12" hole on
the exit side.  This man spoke from experience,
which is always the best teacher.  He now
teaches active duty police officers these
same techniques.

>->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List
>
>Last night, while surfing the TV channels, I chanced upon the TV sitcom
>"Frazier." (I think this is the NBC network. But don't quote me, they all
>are the same garbage.) I don't regularly avidly watch these canned
>laugh-a-minute episodes where the audience is prompted to lend their
>mindless mirth to a series of mindless one-liners. Rather, I avoid them
>like a plague. But, luckily as it turns out, I watched this dismal parody
>of humor long enough to see Frazier, the lead actor, commit a felony.
>
>All in the name of "humor," of course.
>
>Does the action take place in New York City? I think so, but I'm not sure.
>Nonetheless, the same would be true in any major city in the United States.
>Frazier is in a mock argument with an acquaintance in a room (his
>apartment?) with others present. Frazier pulls an automatic pistol out of a
>drawer and tells the fellow with whom he is arguing that that fellow has a
>"five minute start" after which Frazier, with the automatic pistol, will be
>after him... with the entendu that Frazier intends to shoot this man with
>the automatic pistol.
>
>Now, if in New York City, Frazier is not allowed to have a pistol at all,
>unless he has a special permit. Does he have a special permit? Why should a
>psychiatrist have a pistol permit... unless he is a very poor example of a
>psychiatrist? Felony #1. Possession of a deadly weapon in a jurisdiction
>where forbidden by law.
>
>But even if Frazier did have a pistol permit (for what reason?) he would be
>required to conduct himself with care in the use of that permit. One action
>that is specifically prohibited by a permit holder is the act of
>"brandishing." Now brandishing is the act of threatening another person
>with your (legally owned) pistol for the sake of causing that person fear
>for his life when the permit holder himself is not in danger. And that is
>precisely what Frazier did. Felony #2. Brandishing a deadly weapon.
>
>Add to these two the unsafe handling of a firearm--a felony in some
>juridictions--and Frazier, in a matter of a few seconds, managed to rack up
>three major and serious felonies concerning firearms. And it doesn't matter
>whether there were any shells in the firearm or not. Even if you brandish
>or mishandle a realistic *toy* firearm you are guilty. And what Frazier had
>was no toy.
>
>Children and teenagers saw this program and drew inferences from it. The
>program producers should apologize to the American public for this
>exceptionally stupid display of misinformation about firearms.
>
>Will they?    H. Ayre.

>-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to majordomo@world.std.com
>->  Posted by: "Henry Ayre" <henri@Alaska.NET>

-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to majordomo@world.std.com
->  Posted by: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]