Time: Sun Oct 12 05:22:12 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id WAA10961;
	Sat, 11 Oct 1997 22:28:45 -0700 (MST)
	by usr05.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id WAA06546;
	Sat, 11 Oct 1997 22:24:12 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 22:23:23 -0700
To: snetnews@world.std.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Uniform Commercial Code

There are several reasons why this is the case:

1.  the numbers get changed, but the concepts do not;

2.  "All Rights Reserved" appears everywhere:
    book credit pages, movie credits, software screens;

    you will now begin to notice this phrase all over the place! :)

3.  the UCC itself defines which nomenclature is "sufficient";
    "all rights reserved" and "without prejudice" are both
    stated to be synomymous and sufficient;

4.  a debate rages about creating the presumption that you are
    in commerce, if you cite the UCC by chapter and verse;
    although there are ways around this, in pleadings,
    it is best to remove doubt by avoiding "UCC" and "1-207"
    entirely;

5.  the UCC cannot be used to preclude a common law action,
    and the UCC is complementary to the common law, unless
    the latter is expressly supplanted;  thus, "All Rights"
    would necessarily embrace the Seventh Amendment right
    to trial by jury, in common law proceedings.

Remember, the Seventh Amendment is supreme Law, and that
means that Congress can do nothing whatsoever to alter or
amend the terms used in that amendment.   The term
"suits at common law" is an essential concept in the Seventh
Amendment, and that term can only be amended by three-fourths
of the Union states.  Obviously, then, "All Rights" would
embrace the fundamental Right to trial by jury in suits
at common law.  Such a fundamental Right is already
expressly reserved to the People, by the Tenth Amendment.

By expressly stating "All Rights Reserved without Prejudice",
you are simply reminding others that you stand on this
fundamental Law, rather than to opt into the absolute
legislative democracy of the federal zone, where the
guarantees of the Constitution operate if and only if
Congress legislates those guarantees into existence,
via federal municipal statutes.  For authority, see
Hooven & Allison v. Evatt (1945):  the guarantees of
the Constitution extend to the federal zone ONLY as
Congress makes those guarantees applicable, by statute.
Hooven extended the Downes Doctrine, by allowing selected
portions of the Constitution to operate there, but
ONLY by legislative fiat, not by fundamental Right.