Time:    Wed Oct 15 12:37:17 1997
Date:    Wed, 15 Oct 1997 12:38:13 -0700
To:      pmitch@primenet.com
From:    Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in toolbar]
Subject: SLS: "Do You Know Who Owns Your Car?"

http://www.ole.net/~tmb/jps/carl/carl15.html

Carl's Corner
Lesson One
Item Five
                           Do You Know
                        Who Owns Your Car?

Tennessee Department of Revenue Operations Supervisor Denise Rottero
told Judge Greer how Tennessee's auto registration process works.

The process begins with the "surrender" of the Manufacturer's Statement of
Origin ("MSO") by the auto dealer to the Department of Revenue, in exchange
for a Certificate of Title.  Asked if a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin is
proof of ownership, legal title to the automobile, Ms. Rottero said, "Yes."

"Are you telling me that ownership of an automobile must be surrendered to
the State before it can be registered?" she was asked.

"Surrender title, yes." Rottero said.

The certificate of title to your automobile is Not title, it's merely evidence that
title exists.  Your car's legal TITLE is the MSO, which the dealer surrendered
to the State.  Ms. Rottero said the MSO is put on microfilm for permanent
keeping, the original is destroyed.

After the trial, spectators expressed shock that their personal automobiles
were actually owned by the state.  "No wonder state law officers stop people
for no reason!" said a housewife.  "If your car's got a Tennessee plate, it's
theirs, and they can do anything they like to you!"  That's the law, but it's
voluntary.  No one but Judge Greer had dared say that if you don't
surrender your car to the state in exchange for plates, you go to jail.

For more information, contact ...

America Today
P.O. Box 188
Houston, MO

email:   [address in toolbar]        : using Eudora Pro 3.0.3 on 586 CPU 04
[This text formatted on-screen in Courier 10, non-proportional spacing.] 13