Time: Thu Oct 23 06:55:36 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id GAA15502
	for [address in tool bar]; Thu, 23 Oct 1997 06:53:23 -0700 (MST)
  by marine.sonic.net with SMTP; 23 Oct 1997 13:57:48 -0000
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 06:53:42 -0700
To: <DISASTER-L@sonic.net>
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: [DISASTER] soil remineralization

To: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
From: Wes Thomas <west@sonic.net>
Subject: Re: DISASTER-L list objectives and proposed rules

Paul: That sounds terrific!

[Wes is responding to the following question:]

Hello Wes,

Would it be appropriate to begin a thread
on the importance of mineral-rich foods,
beginning with mineral-rich soils, in order
to maintain optimum health during the upcoming
years?  I have access to a very positive
group of people who have had much success
with "re-mineralizing" soils, producing fantastic
increases in crop yields.

Let me know, okay?  I can provide you with several
terrific URL's (see copy of my recent message to
Barry, after my name here).

copy:  Supreme Law School

Hi Barry,

For more information, use Alta Vista to
search for:
             "John Hamaker"

A good, tight abstract is the one entitled
"Soil Remineralization Around the World,"
by Joanna Campe at URL:

  http://www.barc.usda.gov/psi/korcak/ab-3jc.htm

The agenda is at URL:

  http://www.barc.usda.gov/psi/korcak/agenda.htm

Enjoy!

[response to public message now follows:]

Objection.

There is a matter which bears close scientific
scrutiny, and testing.  This is the Hamaker Hypothesis.
Very simply, the forests eventually leach the soil of
all available minerals, causing the trees to die off,
releasing gigatons of carbon back into the atmosphere.
Higher concentrations of carbon dioxide trap more heat
in the atmosphere, but the heating differential is
not uniform.  It is, rather, more pronounced at the
equatorial latitudes, where the sun's rays are closer
to vertical, than at the poles, where the sun's rays
are more horizontal.  The heat differential at the
equator results in lofting huge quantities of water
from the ocean, into the atmosphere, where the vapor
travels on high-altitude convection currents to the
nearest pole.  En route, the vapor precipitates out
as rain, then ice, and finally snow, the closer to
the poles it gets.  As this Hadley Cell increases
in intensity, the weight of the planet shifts from
the equator, to the poles, exerting a crushing action
on the planet, as if the two poles were set in a bench
vise.  This shift in weight distribution forces the
tectonic plates to adjust, resulting in more violent
earthquakes and volcanoes, as interior volcanic pressures
escape through the ruptures between plates.  The entire
process comes to a standstill as the oceans are transported
to the poles, where they grow into huge glaciers, at the
onset of a 90,000-year period of glaciation that reaches
far below the Canadian border.  This hypothesis is worthy
of testing, because it is, indeed, a workable hypothesis.
A small-scale test can be done by mineralizing the soil
with rock dust, and by measuring the effects, if any, on
plant life.  Rock dust reverses the loss of minerals in
the soil, regenerating the food chain in the soil, and
upwards into living tissue, like trees, which depend
upon healthy soil to thrive.  In a word, the Greenhouse
Effect eventually causes an Ice Age to re-occur.