Time: Sat Oct 25 16:37:26 1997
	for [address in tool bar]; Sat, 25 Oct 1997 16:33:07 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 16:27:12 -0700
To: pmitch@primenet.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in toolbar]
Subject: fast C program to modify PREFIX environment variable

  TYPE %1
  rem the preceding commands are merely
  rem to confirm that variables have
  rem the expected values
  rem
  rem now we would do our concatenation
  rem followed by QEDIT to replace
  rem the [filename] and [casename]
  rem variables in PROLOG.HTML and EPILOG.HTML

Execute this sequence as follows:

   TESTPRED.BAT *.ASC

Of course, we need to suppress
all the terminal output, but that
is easy.

What we need, then is a very fast
and very small program which will
simply truncate the last 4 non-blank
characters in the PREFIX environment
variable.  This program can reside
in:

   C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND

It can have a name like PRETRUNC,
meaning to TRUNCate the PREfix
environment variable.

I will check with Corbin on Monday,
to see if he has a hot programmer
who can do this in an hour or less.

If you would like to give it a try,
please do.  I don't have any language
processors to speak of, on either of
these two machines.

A good C programmer could do this in a flash.

I think I know how I want this PREFIX
function to work:

  1.  create the following string of
      characters in a string variable,
      inside a running program:

      SET PREFIX=JUDNOT01.ASC

  2.  replace the last four characters
      with blanks, so that the string
      of characters is now:

      SET PREFIX=JUDNOT01

  3.  pass this string of characters
      to the DOS command processor,
      directly from the executing program

  4.  when the batch file is finished
      with this environment variable,
      the batch file executes the
      following command:

      SET PREFIX=

      which will remove this variable
      from the DOS environment database.

Now, we need a language processor which
has access to a DOS CALL, to execute the
command string which we pass to DOS
via this CALL, e.g.:

    STRING="SET PREFIX=JUDNOT01    "
    CALL DOSCMD(STRING)

Try this at the DOS command prompt:

   SET PREFIX=JUDNOT01
   ECHO %PREFIX%

You will see that you have access to
value of the the variable %PREFIX%
in this manner.

PREFIX becomes an environment
variable, once you give it a non-blank
value via the SET command.

SET without anything following,
displays all non-blank environment
variables.

Try it!

Okay, Rugsy!!

DIR is a pain.  That's for sure.

I had to go to a used bookstore, to find
a copy of John C. Dvorak's masterpiece on DOS.

You and I presently have two problems to solve.

I have solved one of these two, as follows:

   FOR %%a IN (%1) DO type %%a

in a batch file, will accept a wildcard
variable in a batch parameter, e.g.

   %1 is "*.ASC" in the FOR command above (no quotes)

   %%a is the required syntax for the loop counter
       is the 1st matching filename, 1st time thru
       is the 2nd matching filename, 2nd time thru
       is the Nth matching filename, Nth time thru

   where,

     N = number of list entries

I will attach four files, which you can use to test
this logic:

       a.asc          contains "aaa"  [no quotes}
       b.asc          contains "bbb"
       c.asc          contains "ccc"
       testpred.bat   test BATCH file

TESTPRED.BAT does a DOS TYPE command
on each filename with a .ASC suffix,
if you invoke it as follows:

       TESTPRED.BAT *.ASC

For that matter, it will process any
wildcard whatsoever, but I am most
interested in filenames with a .ASC
suffix.

Now, I have NOT solved the other problem;
and that is to have a function which
can return the prefix portion of
a DOS filename, EXcluding the dot and
extension (or suffix).

The use of environment variables is
highly recommended by Dvorak, but
he has no examples for parsing a
filename and returning the prefix
portion.

So, we are half-way there!

What we need is a language which can
process characters, like FORTRAN or C,
and has access to the DOS routines
which read to and write from the
environment variable set.  A DOS
routine which executes a DOS
command line would be nice also.
With this, we can do SET commands
inside the program, and environment
variable values can be manipulated
by surrounding them with percent
signs, e.g.:

     SET PREFIX = XYZ

then %PREFIX% can be used as follows:

     %PREFIX%.HTM

in our COPY command which concatenates
prolog + ASCII + epilog into %PREFIX%.HTM.

I feel like we're now closing in!!  :)

Thanks so much for all the help.
I think you and I are moving a little
too fast for the others on the team,
but then Reed has enormous family
obligations, and a full-time job
on top of that.  So, let's be grateful
for whatever work he can accomplish
in the time we are given.

Toney will probably be seeing all of
this stuff for the very first time,
but he has adamantly refused to accept
any money, because he is in this to
learn, and contribute what he can.

So, it's you and I, Rugsy!!

>ARRGGHH!!! You torture me so with the dreaded DOS whip.
>
>I'm digging in my DOS 6 book and trying some of these things. Win95 = DOS
>7, with the exception of a few utilities they dropped, like deltree.
>
>Win95 still allows environmental variables.
>
>%1 sets a variable for batch files.
>%1% sets an environmental variable.
>
>I tried this:
>set one=1
>
>then typed:
>echo %one%
>
>which returned
>1
>
>Next I set T=time, and made a test.bat file, with only one line that says %T%
>
>Running test.bat displays the current time.
>
>Piping:
>
>This does work under Win95.
>
>mem | find "executable"
>
>takes the output from the mem command and then displays just the line
>containing the word 'executable'. So I tried set M="executable" and then
>ran the command mem | find %M% and got the same output.
>
>Now, just thinking here, as I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing:
>
>Is the "." in a filename an actual character? Why does the dir command not
>display the "."?
>
>So we've got 11 or 12 characters for each filename depending on the status
>of the "." character.
>
>Hmmmm...how to read the filename characters into environmental %1%
>variables is the problem. It would be handy to have a dos LEFT(x) command.
>

>At 12:27 PM 10/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>Yes, I found the discrepancy.
>>
>>NDOS, the Norton replacement for
>>the DOS command processor, has
>>the ability to "pipe" the output
>>of one command as input to
>>a second command, all on the
>>same command line.
>>
>>I have NDOS on my 586/100, which
>>is still running Windows 3.11.
>>
>>I cannot seem to find any documentation
>>whatsoever on "piping" with the DOS
>>command processor for Win95.
>>
>>This is VERY frustrating, yes?
>>
>>/s/ Paul Mitchell
>>http://supremelaw.com
>>

>>In Unix, you can "pipe" the results
>>of one operation into another.  But,
>>when I try it with DOS, nothing happens:
>>
>>My test version of PREEDIT.BAT does this:
>>
>>   DIR %1
>>
>>Then, I do this:
>>
>>   DIR *.ASC /B | PREEDIT.BAT
>>
>>where "|" is the symbol for "piping",
>>but PREEDIT.BAT only executes
>>the DIR command once, without
>>any options.
>>
>>I am stumped.  DOS is ugly.
>>
>>/s/ Paul Mitchell
>>http://supremelaw.com
>>

>>OOPS!!  I just tried it myself,
>>and DOS does NOT recurse.
>>
>>AAAARRRGGGG!!!!!
>>
>>I must be confusing it with
>>the NDOS replacement for DOS,
>>from Norton Utilities.
>>
>>This is becoming quite a pain.
>>
>>There ought to be a way to get
>>DOS to repeat a batch file,
>>if a wildcard argument is
>>provided to it.

> [...]

Attachment Converted: "I:\ATTACH\Preedit.bat"

Attachment Converted: "I:\ATTACH\A.asc"

Attachment Converted: "I:\ATTACH\B.asc"

Attachment Converted: "I:\ATTACH\C.asc"

Attachment Converted: "I:\ATTACH\Testpred.bat"

email:   [address in toolbar]        : using Eudora Pro 3.0.3 on 586 CPU 04
[This text formatted on-screen in Courier 10, non-proportional spacing.] 13From ???@??? Sun Oct 26 06:31:29 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id BAA15333;
	Sun, 26 Oct 1997 01:59:54 -0700 (MST)
	by smtp04.primenet.com (8.8.7/8.8.7) id BAA04968;
	Sun, 26 Oct 1997 01:59:32 -0700 (MST)
 via SMTP by smtp04.primenet.com, id smtpd004961; Sun Oct 26 01:59:23 1997