Time: Wed Oct 29 09:54:04 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id JAA01367;
	Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:26:25 -0700 (MST)
	by smtp03.primenet.com (8.8.7/8.8.7) id JAA23237;
	Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:21:58 -0700 (MST)
 via SMTP by smtp03.primenet.com, id smtpd023063; Wed Oct 29 09:21:52 1997
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 09:21:29 -0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: "blank checks"

Yes.  Blank checks are aok.

I assume you mean that the line
which reads:  "PAY TO THE ORDER OF" [sic]
is the only section which is blank,
but the amount sections are completed,
i.e. digits & letters.

Bear in mind that USPMO's say: "PAY TO".
There is a very important difference
in law here, but the Post Office counter
clerks are not presently aware of this
important difference.  "PAY TO" must be
negotiated by the payee;  "PAY TO THE ORDER OF"
can be signed over to a third party, because
the payee is "ordering" the assignment of
the funds to a third party.  A sharp bank
should bounce any "PAY TO" instrument which
exhibits a third party.

If you like, we can let you know
to whom the check is paid, when we
negotiate it.  I would recommend that
we run the completed check through
our fax machine, in "copy" mode,
and then mail the facsimile back to
you, for your records.  But, you will
eventually get the check back from the
bank, if you have requested them to do so.

Please advise us on this minor detail,
if and when you send the check.

We always recommend that you now start
stating "Without Prejudice, U.C.C. 1-207"
on all your commercial paper, e.g. bank
checks.  We have a comprehensive paragraph
from filed court pleadings which explains
the meaning of this phrase, if anybody should
ask or need to know.

And, when you have them reprinted next time,
add this same phrase just below your pre-printed
name, on each pre-printed check.

When I succeeded in getting Bank of America
and Wells Fargo Bank to convert my old accounts
to W-8 accounts, we also instituted this
change, because the account numbers changed
with the submission of the W-8 for me.