Time: Mon Nov 03 04:48:48 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id UAA08651;
	Sun, 2 Nov 1997 20:58:42 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1997 22:58:08 -0500
Originator: heritage-l@gate.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
To: pmitch@primenet.com
Subject: SLS: Absolute immunity of state and federal judges --NOT!!!

Objection!

42 U.S.C. 1983 is for federal citizens ONLY.

Authority: =20
Wadleigh v. Newhall, 136 F 941 (CC Cal, 1905),
quoting:

  "Rights under 42 USCS =A7 1983 are for citizens
   of United States and not of state."

at 42 USCS =A7 1983, B. Who is Protected;  Standing --
n 853. Generally.

Check it out!

42 U.S.C. 1983 is a codification of the
1866 Civil Rights Act -- a municipal law
enacted specifically to create federal
citizenship as a municipal franchise.

A good treatise on judicial immunity can
be found in Hawks v. County of Butte et al.,
now loaded in the Supreme Law Library at
the URL just below my name here:

> [...]
>Parte Virginia, 100 U.S. 339 (1879), holds that a state judge may
>constitutionally be subjected to federal criminal liability for violating
>federal civil rights.  There can therefore be no serious doubt of the
>constitutionality of federal civil liability for state judges.  Barring
>constitutional impediments, whether or not state judges are to be liable
>under the Civil Rights Act is a matter solely left to Congress. =20
>
>   It may be suggested that the equivalency of criminal versus civil
>liability is not so clear as is assumed by the argument in the text of
>Pierson.  But, however correct such a suggestion might be in general, it is
>not applicable to the Civil Rights Act debate.  First, as we have seen, the
>author of the Civil Rights Act (and presumably a majority of his fellow
>Congressmen) considered the issues of civil and criminal liability to be=
 the
>same.  Second, the federal courts have repeatedly held that criminal
>statutes enacted for the protection of a particular class from a particular
>harm endow the intended beneficiaries thereof with a civil cause of action
>for their violation.  See, e.g., J.I. Case Co. v. Borak, 377 U.S. 426
>(1964)(construing provisions of Securities and Exchange Act for the
>enforcement of which only criminal penalties are provided, to create civil
>cause of action); Reitmeister v. Reitmeister, 162 F.2d 691 (2d Cir.
>1943)(civil cause of action impliedly created by congressional prohibition
>of wire tapping).  Indeed, that very principle has been applied to hold=
 that
>Sections 1981 and 1982, the only enforcement of which was by the general
>criminal prohibition now contained in 18 U.S.C. Section 242 (1964), create
>civil causes of action both for damages and for an injunction.  Sullivan v.
>Little Hunting Park, Inc., 396 U.S. 229 (1969); Jones v. Alfred H. Mayer
>Co., 392 U.S. 409 (1968). =20
>
>   The possibility of a judge's being held liable in damages for a good
>faith mistake or even for a negligent mistake is the one thing proponents=
 of
>judicial immunity fear.  But as commentary suggests, the appropriate
>standard for Section 1983 judicial liability is one of "actual malice", a
>term which is defined to include "reckless disregard".  These definitions
>can be found in every State Tort Claims Act as they apply to government
>officials and employees.  A review of the 1866 debate amply supports the
>proposition that Section 1983's authors intended it to provide for partial
>immunity for mistakes.  The Act's Senate sponsor and its other supporters
>vigorously denied that state judges who "innocently" infringed upon the
>rights conferred by the statute would be liable. Rather, they said, state
>judges would be liable only if they acted "acted knowingly, viciously or
>oppressively, in disregard of a law of the United States..."  =
 CONGRESSIONAL
>GLOBE, 39 Congress, 1st Session 1758 (1865-66)  (statement of Senator
>Trumbull). =20
>
>   However, as we have seen the history of absolute judicial immunity=
 unfold
>in the past 10 years, the U.S. Supreme Court has given judges absolute
>immunity protection even if they act with malice or corruptly.  Now, the=
 new
>standard is a two-pronged test:  (1) Was the judge acting within his/her
>jurisdiction and the act is a function normally performed by a judge; (2)
>whether the parties dealt with the judge in his judicial capacity.  The=
 U.S.
> [...]
>rulings are beyond the scope and authority of the U.S. Supreme Court and=
 are
>only allowed within the province of Congress.  The Supreme Court has
>overstepped its boundaries and violated the Separation of Powers of the
>Constitution for the United States of America by ruling state and local
>judges have absolute immunity, even though Congress has never addressed the
>issue, but in fact addressed the opposite via the Civil Rights Acts of 1866
>and 1871. =20
>
>   Judges should be liable with Section 1983 if (1) he/she has knowingly
>erred as to law or fact, or both, or erred with reckless disregard of=
 making
>the proper decision; and (2) if this was done for the purpose of harming=
 the
>victim or discriminating against the victim or his class or of depriving=
 him
>of his constitutional rights.  Such a standard would exclude even an
>intentional misconstruction of law or misfinding of fact when not committed
>for a discriminatory purpose or to infringe on constitutional rights. =20
>
>   Difficulties in standards of proof to find judges liable may prove
>extremely difficult for plaintiffs.  Proving that a judge's error in
>deciding one or more complex legal issues or factual questions was knowing
>rather than merely negligent or even incompetent will be difficult to=
 prove.
>These difficulties of proof are surmountable, however, where there are
>blatant cases of judicial malfeasance to which Congress intended judicial
>liability to apply.  The difficulties of proof will increase in exact
>proportion as the judicial decision is less clearly motivated by prejudice
>and involves more complex questions of law and/or fact as to which good
>faith error is possible. =20
>
>   The proposed standard of liability for judges requires proof of two
>distinct elements:  (1) intentional or reckless error and malice; (2) class
>discrimination or intentional deprivation of constitutional rights.  Proof
>of one of these elements will tend to go hand in hand with the other.  Once
>the proof of intentional error is made, the burden shifts to the defendant
>judge to go forward with evidence that he was actuated by something other
>than malice or prejudice.  Proof that a judge was prejudiced against a
>particular defendant or civil litigant (notice the two different
>terminologies used to differentiate criminal and civil proceedings) might
>support an inference that a gross error was knowing or reckless rather than
>merely incompetent. =20
>
>   Because most of Section 1983 litigation has involved only injunctive
>relief there has been little discussion of Section 1983 damage claims.  An
>outstanding source on damages claims is found in Niles, "Civil Actions for
>Damages under the Federal Civil Rights Acts", TEXAS L.REV. 1015 (1967). =
 The
> [...]
 constitutional
>rights.  It has repeatedly been held that deprivation of such rights is
>remediable in damages without proof of other loss.=20
>
>         "...While traditional tort-law damage rules may be appropriate to
>accomplish some of the civil rights statutes' purposes, the tort-law
>rules do not allow full realization of those purposes because of their
>emphasis upon loss-shifting rather than upon punishment and
>deterrence."=20
>         Niles, "Civil Actions for Damages under the Federal Civil Rights
>Acts",          45 TEXAS L.REV. 1015, 1026, note 51 (1967). =20
>
>   No mere standard of proof--however rigorous, however difficult to
>satisfy--  will answer the objections of partisans of judicial immunity.
>Their objection is not to successful litigation against judges, that is, to
>the idea that judges, like other men, should be liable for torts.  Their
>objection is that for every one legitimate grievance, there will be a
>hundred or a thousand frivolous cases in which judges will be put to the
>unremunerated expense of defending successfully.  The case for complete
>judicial immunity (and complete tyranny and oppression against We the
>People) is perhaps most persuasively put in a classic Learned Hand opinion:
>
>"It does indeed go without saying that an official, whois in fact guilty
>of using his powers to vent his spleen upon others, or for any other=20
>personal motive not connected with the public good, should not escape
>liability for the injuries he may so cause; and, if it were possible in
>practice to confine such complaints to the guilty, it would be monstrous=20
>to deny recovery.  The justification for doing so is that it is impossible
to=20
>know whether the claim is well founded until the case has been tried,=20
>and that to submit all officials, the innocent as well as the guilty, to=
 the=20
>burden of a trial and to the inevitable danger of its outcome, would dampen=
=20
>the ardor of all but the most resolute, or the most irresponsible, in the=
=20
>unflinching discharge of their duties.  Again and again the public interest=
=20
>calls for action which may turn out to be founded on a mistake, in the face=
=20
>of which an official may later find himself hard put to it to satisfy a
jury of=20
>his good faith.  There must indeed be means of punishing public officers=20
>who have been truant to their duties; but that is quite another matter from=
=20
>exposing such as have been honestly mistaken to suit by anyone who=20
>has suffered from their errors.  As is so often the case, the answer must=
=20
>be found in a balance between the evils inevitable in either alternative. =
 In
>this instance it has been thought in the end better to leave unredressed=
 the
>wrongs done by dishonest officers than to subject those who try to do
>their duty to the constant dread of retaliation."  Gregoire v. Biddle,=20
>177 F.2d 579, 581 (2d Cir. 1949). =20
>
>   Judge Learned Hand should have immediately been removed from the=20
>bench for the aforementioned remarks.  These were treasonous remarks that
>implicated official misconduct and obstruction of justice, not to mention
>violating his Oath of Office to Uphold and Defend the Constitution. =20
>
>   A direct opposition and repudiation to Judge Hand's slick opinion comes
>from a member of the House Judiciary Committee, during the Civil Rights
>Acts' debates in 1866.   Representative Lawrence, declared:  =20
>
>        "I answer it is better to invade the judicial power of the State
>than permit it to invade, strike down, and destroy the civil rights of
>citizens.  A judicial power perverted to such uses should be speedily
>invaded.  The grievance would be insignificant". =20
>
>        See, Briscoe v. La Hue, 103 S.Ct. 1108, 1123, 1127-1130 (1983).
>
>   Because of the high incidences of frivolous civil rights litigation that
>ultimately negatively impacts on meritorious cases, the development of
>devices which will radically decrease the incidence of frivolous litigation
>removes the need for complete judicial immunity as a "balance between the
>evils inevitable in either alternative".  Absolute immunity for judges and
>other government officials eliminates meritorious as well as frivolous
>suits.  Rights of citizens to litigate meritorious claims against judges=
 are
>protected by the First and Fourteenth Amendments and perhaps by Article III
>of the Constitution for the United States of America as well.  United Mine
>Workers v. Illinois State Bar, 389 U.S. 217 (1967); Brotherhood of R.R.
>Trainmen v. Virginia State Bar, 377 U.S. 1 (1964); NAACP v. Button, 371=
 U.S.
>415 (1963); Ex Parte Young, 209 U.S. 123 (1908).  See also Cotting v.=
 Kansas
> [...]
>of police courts) are commensurate with the great importance of their
>offices.  It is also true that even the best judges, as other men, may
>sometimes feel inclined to indulge their prejudices or desires for=
 community
>approval--particularly when they can do so without any prospect of personal
>liability.  It is therefore a questionable doctrine that allows these local
>officials an absolute immunity comparable to that enjoyed by federal=
 cabinet
>officers.  A trial judge can make some of his rulings stick simply by
>fudging his findings of fact.  See, e.g., Gregoire v. Biddle, 177 F.2d 579
>(2d Cir. 1949). =20
>
>   The disinclination of the federal judiciary to sit in judgment upon its
>state brethren assures that it will do so leniently.  In any case, whether
>or not state judges should be liable for intentional deprivations of
>constitutional rights was settled by Congress over 125 years ago by the Ku
>Klux Klan Act of 1871.  It found that judges were liable, both criminally=
 as
>well as civilly, for constitutional rights violations.  As abortion
>protesters, tax protesters, human rights protesters, war protesters, draft
>resisters, fathers rights organizations, the patriot movement, and others=
 of
>the same ilk are so often reminded, the federal courts sit not to judge the
>wisdom of Congress' wishes, but to carry those wishes out: =20
>
>        "We decline to void [the statute involved] essentially on the=
 ground
>        that it is unwise legislation...."      O'Brien v. United States,=
 391
>        U.S. 367, 384 (1968).=20
>
>   The federal judiciary cannot pick and choose what laws it can void.  It
>must uphold the laws made by Congress, including the Ku Klux Klan Act of
>1871, which specifically denied state judges any immunity from civil or
>criminal liability, just as their Oaths when they took office demanded.=20
>
>   When suing state judges in state or federal courts, if immunity is
>granted by other judges sitting in judgment, those judges must be sued,
>removed from the case, if not the bench, and judicial misconduct complaints
>filed against them, for violations of constitutional rights.  Under 28
>U.S.C. 372 federal judges can be removed for a disability & misconduct.
>Under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA), federal judges can and must be
>sued for being willful and malicious when violating your constitutional
>rights.  It is interesting to note here that federal judges grant state
>judges immunity, when the FTCA allows for federal officials (including
>judges) to be sued.  Each state has a Tort Claims Act which essentially
>supercedes any immunities.  What is that disability you ask?  They took an
>Oath to Uphold and Defend the Constitution for the United States of=
 America,
>when they became a federal judge, a state judge, a lawyer, a prosecutor,
>etc.  To violate that Oath indicates a severe mental imbalance on the part
>of the particular judge.  The Complaint against a federal or state judge
>must be in the form of an Affidavit and sent immediately to the U.S. Senate
>Judiciary Committee, the U.S. House Judiciary Committee, each state Senate
>and Assembly(House)Judiciary Committees, the Judicial review boards in each
>state, the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court, the Judicial
>Council for the particular federal Circuit, the Chief Justice of the
>respective state, and each respective state Bar Association (judges in
>almost every case have to be lawyers).  In New Jersey, the case of In the
>Matter of Imbriani, former criminal court judge Michael Imbriani admitted=
>stealing over $175,000 from his business partners, was convicted, sentenced
>to 5 years probation (even though Imbriani, while as a judge, had a
>convicted white collar defendant before him for stealing the exact same
>amount, sentenced him to the maximum N.J. penalty--10 years behind bars),
>had his Bar license revoked and stands to lose his pension.
>

>                           Bruce E.--Chair, NJ Council for=20
>                           Children's Rights Pro Se
>                           Network, P.O.Box 615,
>                           Wayne, N.J. near PZ 07474

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D 12