Time: Fri Dec 05 06:55:25 1997
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in toolbar] (by way of Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar])
Subject: SLS: United States or UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Bcc: pmitch@primenet.com
It's discussed in detail In Re Grand Jury Subpoena
Served on New Life Health Center Company, which is
now loaded in the Supreme Law Library, at the URL
just below my name here.

The United States of America are the several states
which are united by and under the U.S. Constitution.
U.S. Attorneys do NOT have powers of attorney to
represent the United States of America;  they only
have power of attorney to represent the United States
(federal government).

The United States is the federal government, which
is quite distinct, in authority and in territory,
from the United States of America.

The term "United States" has three separate and
distinct meanings in law.  See Black's Law Dictionary,
Sixth Edition, and Hooven & Allison v. Evatt, op cit.

This distinction is found throughout federal law,
e.g. 28 U.S.C. 1746:  if "without" the United States,
the qualifier "under the laws of the United States
of America" must be used.  The mode "within" the
United States is the form found on IRS Form 1040!

See also the Guarantee Clause, for a place where the
distinction is clear and unequivocal.

/s/ Paul Mitchell,
Candidate for Congress

>You wrote:
>
>> the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and the United States
>> [sic], are  not one  and the  same.  This you should have learned
>> way back in law school
>
>I'm open for you to explain it to me. I did not learn about this in law
>school. Though I am a lawyer, please explain it as if I had no legal
>knowledge; but do provide quoted language and citations if that is not
>too inconvenient.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Gary Preble
>http://www.olywa.net/PrebleLaw/

email:   [address in toolbar]        : using Eudora Pro 3.0.3 on 586 CPU 04
[This text formatted on-screen in Courier 10, non-proportional spacing.] 13