Time: Thu Dec 11 02:51:38 1997
To: "Fredrick Rea O'Keefe" <fredrick@tech-center.com>
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Common Law Copyright???
Bcc: sls
Congress cannot abolish the common law,
because it is a term recognized by the
Seventh Amendment.  See Eisner v. Macomber:

"Congress cannot by legislation alter the
 Constitution, from which alone it derives
 its power to legislate, and within whose
 limitations that power can be lawfully
 exercised."

It is possible Congress could abolish it
for the federal zone, under the Downes
Doctrine, but this doctrine has now been
attacked in Gilbertson's OPENING BRIEF,
now loaded in the Supreme Law Library
at the URL just below my name here:

/s/ Paul Mitchell,