Time: Fri Dec 12 16:53:24 1997
To: <frankconner@west.ga.net>
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: C.J. John Marshall (1801) (was "OUR WAR, PART 3")
Bcc:
C.J. Rehnquist was addressing the Law School
of the University of Arizona, and was discussing
Marbury v. Madison, when he asked the class to
summarize the issues.  Nobody raised their hand,
for a long time.  So, I raised my hand, he let
me speak, and I said, "The issue was that federal
authorities must be expressed and enumerated."
Rehnquist then went to speak, but no words came out
of his mouth, for a very pregnant moment.  He then
said, "No, that was not the issue in Marbury v.
Madison."  But, of course, the U.S. Constitution
does NOT contain any authority which empowers the
U.S. Supreme Court to hold acts of Congress to be
unconstitutional.  That WAS the issue in Marbury
v. Madison:  John Marshall aggrandized that power
to the U.S. Supreme Court, when it rightly belonged
to the jury, and still does.  C.J. Rehnquist was
wrong, on this crucial point.  For more background,
read "The Lawless Rehnquist" in the Supreme Law
Library, at the URL just below my name here:

/s/ Paul Mitchell,
Candidate for Congress