Time: Sun Dec 14 16:41:22 1997
To: snetnews@world.std.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: Re: SNET: SLS: auto insurance [corrected]
Bcc:
The correct citations are California
Civil Code, sections 22.2, 1427, and 1428,
and 1708, as of March 26, 1994, when we cited
these in a federal case, which was quitely
dismissed.  The common law is the rule of
decison;  an obligation arises either from
the operation of law, or from the contract
of the parties, and nothing else.  The only
obligation which arises from the operation of
law is to abstain from injuring the person or
property of another, or infringing upon any of
his rights.  Here is CCC 1708:

"1708.  Every person is bound, without contract,
to abstain from injuring the person of another,
or infringing upon any of his rights." [sic]

This is a very good restatement of the common
law, which is the rule of decision in
California, pursuant to CCC 22.2, to wit:

"22.2.  The common law of England, so far as it is
not repugnant to or inconsistent with the
Constitution of the United States, or the
Constitution or laws of this State, is the
rule of decision in all the courts of this State."

These latter citations were obtained from URL:

  http://www.leginfo.ca.gov

These state laws can be "imported" into
any federal court, pursuant to 28 U.S.C. 1652:
State laws as rules of decision.

/s/ Paul Mitchell,
Candidate for Congress
http://supremelaw.com