Time: Wed Nov 27 09:49:18 1996
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:35:38 -0800
To: libertylaw@www.ultimate.org
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: LLAW: Privileges and Immunities Clause

LIBERTY LAW - CROSS THE BAR & MAKE YOUR PLEA - FIRST VIRTUAL COURT, USA
Presiding JOP: Tom Clark, Constable: Robert Happy, Clerk: Kerry Rushing
                 STUDIES IN CONSTITUTIONAL LAW
               A TREATISE ON AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP
                               BY
                          JOHN S. WISE
                     EDWARD THOMPSON COMPANY
                  NORTHPORT, LONG ISLAND, N. Y
                              1906

             (scanner OCR may have spelling errors)

          Rights, Privileges, and Immunities Granted or
         Guaranteed to the Citizen by the United States

     These may be classified as follows:

     1.   Rights granted or guaranteed by the Constitution of the
          United States  as originally  framed, or  by the  first
          twelve amendments thereto.

     2.   Rights granted  or guaranteed  by the XIII, XIV, and XV
          Amendments.

      First,  then, the rights, privileges, or immunities granted
or guaranteed  to the  citizen by  the Constitution of the United
States as  originally framed,  or by  the first twelve amendments
thereto, are,  in the order of their enumeration, or by necessary
implication, as follows:

     1.   A right.   That  citizens of  the States  composing the
          Union, having the qualifications requisite for electors
          of the  most numerous  branch of the State legislature,
          shall possess  the right  and privilege of electors for
          members of  the House  of Representatives of the United
          States chosen  every second  year by  the people of the
          United States.  (Art. I, Sec. 2, Cl. 1) (12)

     2.   A privilege.   That  such citizens shall be eligible to
          membership of  the House  of Representatives,  if  they
          possess  certain   qualifications  of  age,  length  of
          citizenship, and  are inhabitants  of  the  State  from
          which they are chosen.  (Art. I, Sec. 2, Cl. 2)

     3.   A right.   That  representatives and direct taxes shall
          be apportioned,  among the several States, according to
          their respective  numbers, which shall be determined by
          adding to  the whole  number of free persons, including
          those bound  to  service  for  a  term  of  years,  and
          excluding Indians  not taxed, three-fifths of all other
          persons. This  clause is,  however, amended, in respect
          to  apportionment   of  representation,   by  the   XIV
          Amendment, Sec. 2.  (13)

Rights, Privileges and Immunities in U.S. Constitution: Page 1 of
                               23

     4.   A right.   To  have an enumeration or census, every ten
          years, according  to law,  to determine  the  basis  of
          representation, but with a proviso that representatives
          shall not  exceed one  for every  30,000, but that each
          State shall have at least one representative.  (Art. I,
          Sec. 2, Cl. 3, Par. 2) (14)

     5.   A  privilege.     That   citizens  possessing   defined
          qualifications  of   age,  length   of  residence,  and
          habitation,  shall   be  eligible   as  United   States
          senators.  (Art. I, Sec. 3, Cl. 3)

     6.   An immunity.   Against the trial of impeachments by any
          other body  than the  Senate, or  conviction without  a
          concurrence of  two-thirds of  the members present; and
          against any  judgment in  such case  extending  further
          than to  removal from  office and  disqualification  to
          hold and  enjoy any  office of  honor, trust, or profit
          under the United States.  (Art. I, Sec. 3, Cl. 6) (15)

     7.   An immunity.   From arrest, except for treason, felony,
          or breach  of the  peace, while attending Congress as a
          member or  going to  or returning  from the  same;  and
          from being  questioned for  any  speech  or  debate  in
          either House.  (Art. I, Sec. 6, Cl. 1) (16)

     8.   A right.   That  all bills  for raising  revenue  shall
          originate in  the House  of Representatives.   (Art. I,
          Sec. 7, Cl. 1) (17)

     9.   A right.   To  have the  executive sanction of all laws
          before they  become effective,  unless they  be  passed
          over the  President's veto.   (Art.  I, Sec.  7, Cl. 2)
          (18)

     10.  A right.  That all duties, imposts, and excises imposed
          by Congress  shall be  uniform  throughout  the  United
          States.  (Art. I, Sec. 8, Cl. 1) (19)

     11.  An immunity.   From  any laws  passed by  any State, or
          other authority than Congress, regulating commerce with
          foreign nations  and among the several States, and with
          the Indian tribes.  (Art. I. Sec. 8, Cl. 3) (20)

     12.  A right.  To uniform Federal laws of naturalization and
          bankruptcy throughout the United States.  (Art. I, Sec.
          8, Cl. 4) (21)

     13.  A right.   To a Federal coinage and standard of weights
          and measures.  (Art. I, See. 8. Cl. 5) (22)

     14.  A right.   To  an established Federal postal system and
          post roads.  (Art. I, See. 8, Cl. 6) (23)

     15.  A right.   To  a Federal  system of  patent rights  and
          copyrights.  (Art. I, Sec. 8, Cl. 8) (24)

Rights, Privileges and Immunities in U.S. Constitution: Page 2 of
                               23

     16.  A right.   To  a supreme  court and a system of federal
          courts inferior to the supreme court.  (Art. I, Secs. 1
          and 2;  Art. I, Sec. 8, Cl. 9) (25)

     17.  A right.   To  Federal protection  against piracies and
          felonies  committed  on  the  high  seas  and  offenses
          against the  law of  nations.  (Art. I, Sec. 8, Cl. 10)
          (26)

     18.  An immunity.   Against  any declaration  of war  or the
          granting of  letters of  marque and  reprisal except by
          the United States.  (Art. I, Sec. 8, Cl. 11) (27)

     19.  An  immunity.    Against  any  appropriations  for  war
          purposes by  Congress, under  its power  to  raise  and
          support armies,  for a  longer  term  than  two  years.
          (Art. I, See. 8, Cl. 12) (28)

     20.  A right.   To the creation and maintenance of a navy by
          the Federal government (Art. I, Sec. 8, Cl. 13) (29)

     21.  A right.   To  the use of the militia under the call of
          the Federal  government, for  executing the laws of the
          Union,   suppressing   insurrections,   and   repelling
          invasions.  (Art. I, Sec. 8, Cl. 15) (30)

     22.  A right.   To exclusive Federal legislation by Congress
          over a  territory not  exceeding ten  miles square as a
          seat of  government, and like authority over all places
          purchased   for   forts,   magazines,   arsenals,   and
          dockyards.  (Art. I, Sec. 8, Cl. 17.) (31)

     23.  A right.   To  the privilege  of  the  writ  of  habeas
          corpus, save  when  it  may  be  suspended  for  public
          safety, in  time of  rebellion or  invasion.   (Art. I,
          Sec. 9, Cl. 2) (32)

     24.  An immunity.   Against any bill of attainder or ex post
          facto law.  (Art. I, Sec. 9, Cl. 3) (33)

     25.  An immunity.   Against  any capitation  or other direct
          tax except  in proportion  to the census above provided
          for.  (Art. I, Sec. 9, Cl. 4) (34)

     26.  An immunity.   Against  any tax  or  duty  on  articles
          exported from any State.  (Art, I, Sec. 9, Cl. 5) (35)

     27.  An immunity.   Against  any preference  to the ports of
          one State  over  those  of  another;  and  against  the
          entrance, clearance,  or payment  of duties  by vessels
          bound to  or from the ports of one State to or from the
          ports of another State.  (Art. I, Sec. 9, Cl. 5) (36)

     28.  An immunity.   Against  the granting  of any  titles of
          nobility by the United States.  (Art. I, Sec. 9, Cl. 7)
          (37)

Rights, Privileges and Immunities in U.S. Constitution: Page 3 of
                               23

     29.  Immunities.     Against  any   treaty,   alliance,   or
          confederation  entered  into  by  any  State,  and  the
          granting of letters of marque or reprisal by any State,
          and against  the coinage  of money or emission of bills
          of credit  by any  State and the making of anything but
          gold and  silver coin  a tender  in payment of debts by
          any State;  and the passage of any bill of attainder or
          ex post  facto law,  or law impairing the obligation of
          contracts, or  grant of  any title  of nobility  by any
          State.  (Art. I, Sec. 10, Cl. 1) (38)

     30.  An immunity.   From  the laying of any impost or duties
          on imports or exports by any State, without the consent
          of Congress.  (Art. I, Sec. 10, Cl. 2) (39)

     31.  Immunities.  From any duty of tonnage laid by any State
          without the  consent of  Congress, or  the  keeping  of
          troops or  ships of  war in time of peace by any State,
          or the  entering into  an  agreement  or  compact  with
          another State  or a  foreign power,  or engaging in war
          unless actually  invaded or in such immediate danger as
          will not admit of delay.  (Art. I, Sec. 10, Cl. 3) (40)

     32.  A  privilege.     Of   being  presidential   and   vice
          presidential elector  in the  manner  provided  by  the
          legislature of  the State.  (Art. II, Sec. 1, Cl. 1 and
          2) (41)

     33.  A privilege.   Of  being President provided the citizen
          possesses the  requisite qualifications  of birth, age,
          and residence.  (Art II, Sec. 1, Cl. 5) (42)

     34.  A privilege.   Of  being Vice-President  subject to the
          same qualifications  as last  named.  (Art. II, Sec. 1,
          Cl. 5)

     35.  A privilege.   Of  suing in  the federal courts, on the
          terms and subject to the conditions of jurisdiction set
          forth in the Constitution and laws.  (Art. III, Sec. 1)

     36.  A right.  To trial by jury in the State where the crime
          is charged  to have  been committed  in any  trial  for
          crime  in   a  federal   court,  except   in  case   of
          impeachment, and when the crime is not committed within
          any State  the trial  to be  at such place or places as
          Congress directs.  (Art. III, Sec. 2, Cl. 3) (43)

     37.  An immunity.   From  the charge  of treason against the
          United States,  except for levying war against them, or
          for adhering  to their  enemies, giving  them  aid  and
          comfort (Art III, Sec. 3, Cl. 1. See Of Treason, supra,
          pp. 74 et seq.)

Rights, Privileges and Immunities in U.S. Constitution: Page 4 of
                               23

     38.  A right.  To demand, in cases of trial for treason, the
          testimony of  two witnesses to the same overt act, or a
          confession  in  open  court,  as  the  only  basis,  of
          conviction.  (Art. III, Sec. 3, Cl. 1.) (44)

     39.  An immunity.   Against any attainder of treason working
          corruption of  blood or  forfeiture, except  during the
          life of  the person  attainted.  (Art. III, Sec. 3, Cl.
          2) (45)

     40.  A right.   To  demand that  each State  shall give full
          faith and credit to the public acts, records, etc., and
          judicial proceedings  of every  other State.  (Art. IV,
          Sec. 1) (46)

     41.  A right.   In  the citizens  of each State to enjoy all
          the  Privileges  and  immunities  of  citizens  in  the
          several States.  (Art. IV, Sec. 2, Cl. 1) (47)

     42.  A right.   To demand from any State the extradition and
          removal of  any person  who shall  flee thereto, who is
          charged, in  another State,  with treason,  felony,  or
          other crane.  (Art. IV, Sec. 2, Cl. 2) (48)

     43.  A right.  To demand the delivery, on claim of the party
          entitled, of  any person  held to  service or labor, in
          one State, who has escaped to another State.  (Art. IV,
          Sec. 2, Cl. 3) (49)

     44.  A right.   To  the performance  of the guarantee of the
          United States  that every State in the Union shall have
          a republican  form of  government, and  that the United
          States will  protect each  of them  from  invasion  and
          against domestic violence.  (Art. IV, Sec. 4) (50)

     45.  A right.   In  each State  to  equal  suffrage  in  the
          Senate.  (Art. V)

     These being  the only  rights,  privileges,  and  immunities
guaranteed to  citizens by the Constitution itself, the following
additional  appear   in  the   first  twelve  amendments  to  the
Constitution: (51)

     46.  An immunity.  Against any law of Congress respecting an
          establishment of  religion,  or  prohibiting  the  free
          exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech or
          of the press.  (Art. I) (52)

     47.  A right.   Of  the people peaceably to assemble, and to
          petition the  government for  a redress  of grievances.
          (Art. I) (53)

     48.  A right.   Of the people to keep and bear arms. A right
          not to be infringed.  (Art. II) (54)

Rights, Privileges and Immunities in U.S. Constitution: Page 5 of
                               23

     49.  An immunity.   From  the quartering  of troops  in  any
          house in  time of  peace without  the  consent  of  the
          owner, or  in time  of war,  except in  a manner  to be
          prescribed by law.  (Art. III)

     50.  An  immunity.     Against   unreasonable  searches   or
          seizures.  (Art. IV) (55)

     51.  A right.   To  demand that  search warrants  shall  not
          issue except  upon probable cause, supported by oath or
          affirmation and particularly describing the place to be
          searched, and the person or things to be seized.  (Art.
          IV) (56)

     52.  A right.   That  no citizen  be held  to answer  to the
          Federal government  for a capital or otherwise infamous
          crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand
          jury, except  in cases  arising in  the land  or  naval
          forces, or  in the  militia, when  in  actual  service.
          (Art. V) (57)

     53.  An immunity.   From being twice put in jeopardy of life
          or Limb for the same offense.  (Art. V) (58)

     54.  An immunity.   From  being a  witness against  himself.
          (Art. V) (59)

     55.  A right.   To  due process of law before being deprived
          of life, liberty, or property.  (Art. V) (60)

     56.  A right.   To  just compensation for any property taken
          for public use.  (Art. V) (61)

     57.  A right.   To  speedy and  public trial in all cases of
          criminal prosecutions  by  an  impartial  jury  of  the
          district wherein  any crime  is charged  to  have  been
          committed,  the   district  to   have  been  previously
          ascertained by  law; to  be informed of the nature and,
          cause of  the accusation;  to be  confronted  with  the
          witnesses against  him; to  have compulsory process for
          obtaining witnesses  in his  favor;  and  to  have  the
          assistance of counsel for his defense.  (Art. VI) (62)

     58.  A right.   In  suits at  common law,  involving a value
          exceeding twenty  dollars, to  a trial  by jury.  (Art.
          VII) (63)

     59.  An immunity.   From having any fact tried by a jury re-
          examined in  any court  of the United States, otherwise
          than according  to the rules of common law.  (Art. VII)
          (64)

     60.  An immunity.   Against  the  requirement  of  excessive
          bail, against  the imposition  of excessive  fines, and
          against   the   infliction   of   cruel   and   unusual
          punishments.  (Art. VIII) (65)

Rights, Privileges and Immunities in U.S. Constitution: Page 6 of
                               23

     61.  A  declaration.     That   the   enumeration   in   the
          Constitution of  certain rights  shall not be construed
          to deny  or disparage  others retained  by the  people.
          (Art. IX) (66)

     62.  A guarantee.   That  the powers  not delegated  to  the
          United States  by the  Constitution, nor  prohibited to
          the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or
          to the people.  (Art. X) (67)

Footnotes:

<snipped>

[Text is usually formatted in Courier 11 non-proportional spacing @]
[65-characters per line; .DOCs by MS-WORD for MS-DOS, Version 5.0B.]
Paul Andrew Mitchell, B.A., M.S., email address: pmitch@primenet.com
ship to: c/o 2509 N. Campbell, #1776, Tucson, Arizona state [We win]
We can decode all your byte streams, spaghetti code notwithstanding.
Coming soon: "Manifesto for a Republic" by John E. Trumane ie JetMan