Time: Fri Jan 31 13:56:48 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id MAA28856;
	Fri, 31 Jan 1997 12:28:21 -0700 (MST)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 14:28:17 -0500 (EST)
	id sma004421; Fri Jan 31 14:27:57 1997
Originator: map@mapinc.org
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
To: pmitch@primenet.com
Subject: Re: ART:Editorial, SF Chron

Congratulations, you folks.

Keep up the good work!

The tide has turned, obviously.

Let the ebb flush the government
hacks right under the Golden Gate,
and right out into the Pacific Ocean,
out near the Farallons and the
deposits of contaminated nuclear
waste buried on the bottom.

They can "glow" in their defeat
with the rest of the irradiated
jelly fish.

> This represents the culmination of a great week to counter federal
>pressure and discredit the drug war. Three points of resisitance to gov't
>pressure are cited, Dr. Kassirer, Dr. Conant, and the SF Med Society.The
>latter is in some ways more important because it represents several
>doctors, cites a body of literature, and delivers the clearest message. It
>was a Map effort.
>Tom O'Connell
> Friday, January 31, 1997 =B7 Page A24         =A91997 San Francisco Chronic=
>le
>
>Marijuana as Medicine
>
>        NOW THAT the prestigious New England Journal of Medicine has
>        joined many doctors and patients in support of legalizing
>        the medical use of marijuana, the federal government should
>        step back from its puritanical anti-pot stand and put the
>        issue to a scientific test like any other drug in the
>        national pharmacopoeia.
>
>        ``I believe that a federal policy that prohibits physicians
>        from alleviating suffering by prescribing marijuana for
>        seriously ill patients is misguided, heavy-handed and
>        inhumane,'' wrote Dr. Jerome P. Kassirer, the journal's
>        editor-in-chief.
>
>        And on Wednesday the San Francisco Medical Society unveiled
>        a study that found smoked marijuana is a valuable and
>        effective medicine. Many doctors and patients say smoking
>        marijuana provides relief from nausea related to
>        chemotherapy and is helpful in the treatment of AIDS,
>        glaucoma, multiple sclerosis, spasticity, chronic pain and
>        an array of other ailments.
>
>        Also weighing in on the side of medicinal pot was Dr. Marcus
>        Conant, a leading AIDS expert at the University of
>        California at San Francisco, who wrote in this week's
>        edition of Newsweek magazine that he has seen hundreds of
>        AIDS and cancer patients benefit from smoking marijuana.
>
>        Conant noted the federal government's hypocrisy in offering
>        to ``fund a $1 million review of literature on medical
>        marijuana, but refuses to allow a clinical trial, which is
>        really needed.'' Yet the Feds stubbornly refuse to allow
>        doctors to prescribe it. Since voters in California and
>        Arizona approved the medical use of marijuana last November,
>        President Clinton (who didn't inhale) has loosed his big
>        anti-drug guns to denounce the weed and -- in a graceless
>        effort to intimidate -- threaten to prosecute doctors who
>        prescribe it even to dying patients.
>
>        Using marijuana as medicine is not about encouraging kiddies
>        to smoke dope. If medically prescribed pot relieves symptoms
>        and provides comfort to sick and dying people -- as many
>        insist it does -- who are the bureaucrats to deny them their
>        relief and solace?

[Text is usually formatted in Courier 11 non-proportional spacing @]
[65-characters per line; .DOCs by MS-WORD for MS-DOS, Version 5.0B.]
Paul Andrew Mitchell, B.A., M.S., email address: pmitch@primenet.com
Web site for the Supreme Law Firm  is URL: http://www.supremelaw.com
Ship to: c/o 2509 N. Campbell, #1776, Tucson, Arizona state [We win]
We can decode all your byte streams, spaghetti code notwithstanding.
Coming soon: "Manifesto for a Republic" by John E. Trumane ie JetMan