Time: Thu Feb 06 16:47:37 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id MAA12053;
	Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:23:52 -0700 (MST)
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 16:39:40 -0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: OMB control numbers
Cc: butchaz@juno.com (Alfred R Martin)

Dear Clients,

My colleague Alfred R. Martin
here explains briefly the
meaning of OMB control numbers,
as required by the Paperwork
Reduction Act, a federal law
which was originally intended
to have specific application
to the "Internal Revenue Service"
[sic].

/s/ Paul Mitchell

>To: pmitch@primenet.com
>Subject: OMB
>From: butchaz@juno.com (Alfred R Martin)
>Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 11:47:56 EST
>
>   In 1980, Congress passed the "Paper Reduction Act", the purpose of
>which is to reduce the onerous request for information and the necessity
>for information and the necessity for keeping records piled on our people
>by federal agencies and to reign in the government's unnecessary spending
>of money.
>
>   The Act prevents any department from issuing demands for information
>or record keeping without first clearing such request through the OMB
>which is now mandated to evaluate such request and to determine which
>demands are necessary or superfluous. When approval is given for any such
>request, an OMB NUMBER is assigned for it, which must be printed in the
>upper right-hand corner of the Form making such request or demand.  The
>Law is quite clear and declares in part:
>
>	"Notwithstanding any other provision of Law, no person shall be
>	 subject to any penalty for failing to provide information to any
>	 agency if the information collection request involved was made
>	 after December 31, 1981, and does not display the current
> 	 control number assigned by the director, or fails to state that
>	 such request is not subject to this chapter.  Information
>collection
>	 request which do not display a current control number, or, if
>not
>	 indicated why not, are to be considered BOOTLEG REQUEST
>	 and may be ignored by the public."
>
>   The OMB requirement and restrictions apply to the regulations as well
>as to the instruction manuals associated with request for information or
>the keeping of records.  In other words, by law, not only must each form
>presented to the public bear an OMB number, but that number must also be
>assigned to the corresponding regulation that authorizes the government
>to demand information from you.
>
>   Take a look at the "Individual Income Tax Form" that the IRS sends
>each year.  In the upper right-hand corner, you will find:  OMB number
>1545-0074.
>   Title 26, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 602 discloses that the
>Form bearing OMB number 1545-0074 is to be used for filing of tax returns
>for U.S. Citizens in the POSSESSIONS.

[Text is usually formatted in Courier 11 non-proportional spacing @]
[65-characters per line; .DOCs by MS-WORD for MS-DOS, Version 5.0B.]
Paul Andrew Mitchell, B.A., M.S., email address: pmitch@primenet.com
Web site for the Supreme Law Firm  is URL: http://www.supremelaw.com
Ship to: c/o 2509 N. Campbell, #1776, Tucson, Arizona state [We win]
We can decode all your byte streams, spaghetti code notwithstanding.
Coming soon: "Manifesto for a Republic" by John E. Trumane ie JetMan