Time: Thu Feb 06 17:34:21 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id MAA28636;
	Fri, 7 Feb 1997 12:55:21 -0700 (MST)
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 14:54:44 -0500 (EST)
	id sma016016; Fri Feb  7 14:54:40 1997
Originator: drctalk@drcnet.org
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
To: Multiple recipients of list <drctalk@drcnet.org>
Subject: "Agency of Fear" all over again?

>Date: Thu, 06 Feb 1997 17:12:59 -0800
>From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
>Subject: "Agency of Fear" all over again?
>
>Janet Reno is no longer Attorney General,
>as a matter of law, as of her refusal to
>produce credentials in response to a proper
>Freedom of Information Act request for
>same.  Hence, she can no longer delegate
>authority to anyone.  If McCaffrey is
>below her in the chain of command, then
>he has no authority either, because Reno
>cannot delegate any authority which she
>does not now possess as a matter of law.
>
>/s/ Paul Mitchell
>

>At 10:02 AM 2/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>Aaron D. Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> This is an interesting little item from this weeks issue of Newsweek. I
>>> suggest people make reference to Edward J. Epstein's "Agency of Fear," to
>>> get a little historical context for this sort of thing. Of course, I could
>>> just be being paranoid...
>>>
>>>         "Looking for More Control"
>>>
>>>         A turf battle is brewing between White House officials and the
>>> Justice Department over the drug war. In what Justice officials call a
>>> brazen power grab, drug czar Barry McCaffrey is floating a proposal that
>>> would allow him to reassign drug agents aound the country and give him
>>> greater operational control over the drug fight. Justice officials, moving
>>> to quash the plan, say such powers have no place in the executive office
>>> of the presidency. "It's shades of the political police," said a Justice
>>> official. "It's not something we need in an administration that's been
>>> accused of politicizing law enforcement." A spokesman for McCaffrey say's
>>> he's only trying to clarify existing authority.

>>>         (author's note: Yeah right. The McCzar just wants to "clarify
>>> existing authority." Suurrre...).
>>
>>This is exactly the kind of thing to be concerned about. A President
>>Clinton, beset with a morass of legal problems, gives McCaffrey more
>>authority and allows him to continue to take the WOD heat. McCaffrey
>>will take the ball and run with it. Our beloved Drug Czar may be an
>>honest man, but, he is used to completing assigned tasks. He does not
>>want to fail as the WOD leader. All of this is IMHO.
>>Art Sobey

[Text is usually formatted in Courier 11 non-proportional spacing @]
[65-characters per line; .DOCs by MS-WORD for MS-DOS, Version 5.0B.]
Paul Andrew Mitchell, B.A., M.S., email address: pmitch@primenet.com
Web site for the Supreme Law Firm  is URL: http://www.supremelaw.com
Ship to: c/o 2509 N. Campbell, #1776, Tucson, Arizona state [We win]
We can decode all your byte streams, spaghetti code notwithstanding.
Coming soon: "Manifesto for a Republic" by John E. Trumane ie JetMan