Time: Tue Mar 04 21:03:39 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id QAA26066;
	Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:28:43 -0700 (MST)
	id SAA13733; Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:20:52 -0500 (EST)
	id SAA13724; Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:20:51 -0500 (EST)
	id AA11172; Tue, 4 Mar 1997 18:20:47 -0500
	by usr04.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id QAA26305
	for <snetnews@world.std.com>; Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:20:46 -0700 (MST)
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id QAA05014
	for <snetnews@world.std.com>; Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:20:26 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 20:32:48 -0800
To: snetnews@world.std.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SNET: Rep. Ron Paul and guns

->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List

Just a slight correction to the
body of this message:  Rep. Ron Paul
is not a Senator, so "Sen. Ron Paul"
is incorrect.  You have it right in
the first paragraph:

  "Congressman Ron Paul".

Now, if *I* were in the U.S. Senate
(not very likely in the near future:)
then you could call me Sen. Paul and
I would not mind.

>->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List
>
>>Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) is an outspoken advocate of gun
>>rights.  He is also a pro-Bill of Rights advocate too.
>>
>>The following is recorded in the House records for February 27, 1997.
>>--
>>Doug
>>
>>  TAKING ISSUE WITH COMMENTS MADE BY FELLOW MEMBER OF CONGRESS (House of
>>                   Representatives - February 27, 1997)
>>
>>                               [Page: H680]
>>
>>The SPEAKER pro tempore. Under a previous order of the House, the gentleman
>>from Texas [Mr. Edwards] is recognized for 5 minutes.
>>
>>Mr. EDWARDS. Mr. Speaker, in my 5 years at this House I have very rarely
>>come to the well of this great body to criticize the comments of one of my
>>colleagues. I have great respect for the bipartisan and diverse views of
>>all Members of this House, and their right to express the views and
>>concerns and ideas of the people they represent in their respective
>>districts.
>>
>>But once in a while, a Member of this House makes a comment that is so
>>irresponsible and so outrageous that I simply cannot remain silent.
>>Yesterday one of my colleagues from Texas, the gentleman from Texas, [Mr.
>>Paul] made a statement that I feel is so irresponsible that in good
>>conscience I simply cannot remain silent.
>>
>>In his statement on C-SPAN's Washington Journal yesterday Mr. Paul said
>>this:
>>
>>I fear and there are a lot of people in this country who fear they may be
>>bombed by the Federal Government at another Waco. I mean, these people
>>committed no crimes.
>>
>>Mr. Speaker, it is astounding to me that a member of this Federal
>>Government, a Member of this Congress, would say publicly that he fears
>>being bombed by the Federal Government. My fear is that kind of statement
>>made by a public official of this Congress simply expands the hysterical
>>paranoia of those around this country who might be hiding in their closets
>>thinking that the Federal Government is somehow going to bomb them in the
>>sanctity of their private homes.
>>
>>I think that is sheer lunacy, at best. At worst, it could create and
>>engender the kind of hatred toward our Federal Government that leads to
>>tragedies such as that we all sadly witnessed in Oklahoma City.
>>
>>Second, as the Member of Congress who represents Waco and the Waco area,
>>and as someone who watched and followed very carefully the proceedings and
>>the tragedy of the Branch Davidian compound, I must say that I am astounded
>>that the gentleman from Texas [Mr. Paul], a Member of this House, would
>>say, despite all of the facts on the table, would suggest that the Branch
>>Davidians and David Koresh committed no crimes.
>>
>>At best, that is flat wrong and denies the fact and reality. At worst, it
>>is a misrepresentation intentionally of what was done there.
>>
>>Let me say what the facts were. The facts were that David Koresh raped a
> [...]

->  Posted by: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]