Time: Mon Mar 10 18:14:07 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id RAA29768;
	Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:14:04 -0700 (MST)
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 17:28:00 -0800
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: MTK: LTE: Let States Decide Marijuana (fwd)

<snip>
>                        Tom Hawkins
>          Washington Media Awareness Project

smoke marijuana and millions who will continue to do so in the future?
>The majority of these marijuana users have jobs, many are college
>graduates, pay taxes, vote, in other words, law-abiding (except for
>breaking the irrational marijuana laws) citizens. "Drug use" does not
>automatically equate to "drug abuse." The greater danger in marijuana is
>not in the use of it but the illegality of it. It is not proven that
marijuana is a "gateway" drug. (That has also been said of alcohol and
tobacco.) Perhaps it is the fact that buying marijuana may put you into
>contact with persons who have access to more harmful drugs that leads
>some people (certainly not the majority of the marijuana users) to go on
>to try something more harmful. Or perhaps some young people, after having
been lied to about marijuana's dangers, try more dangerous drugs with the
rationale that they have been lied to about those also.
>	I want to applaud the recent editorial in the New England Journal of
Medicine regarding a physician's right to make a decision about the
treatment of his or her patient, treatment that may include the use of
>marijuana. The editor-in-chief went on to say that physicians have been
>trusted with far more dangerous drugs than marijuana, i.e.
>chemotherapeutic agents, and should have the right to make those
>decisions. The government has perpetuated these drug policies for over 60
years -- policies that in the '90s now seem even more repressive and