Time: Sat Mar 22 06:55:54 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id GAA22158;
	Sat, 22 Mar 1997 06:25:25 -0700 (MST)
	by usr10.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id GAA17156;
	Sat, 22 Mar 1997 06:25:19 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 06:54:19 -0800
To: SafanNews@aol.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Marbury v. Madison

And furthermore, the Ninth Amendment gives us all
a fine rule of construction, in situations like this.
It says,

  "The enumeration in the Constitution,
   of certain rights, shall not be construed
   to deny or disparage others retained by the
   people."

Justice Marshall should have done what Justice Taney
did in Dred Scott, namely, tell the American people
that the high Court was not constituted to alter the
Constitution;  Article V was constituted to alter
the Constitution.  If the Framers goofed by omitting
the authority to overturn acts of Congress, then
it was up to three-fourths of the states to correct
that oversight.

The Ninth Amendment says so!

When C.J. Rehnquist spoke about Marbury v. Madison
at the University of Arizona in January, he asked
the class what issues of law were before the court.
After no one raised their hands for quite a long
time, I volunteered my opinion.  I said that federal
authority must be expressed and enumerated.  This
comment gave Rehnquist a very long pause.  He then
answered that it was NOT at issue.  You will note,
however, that the Constitution does not give to
the Supreme Court the authority to overrule
unconstitutional laws.  The Supreme Court usurped
that power.  We can debate this question until
kingdom come, but it is a fact that the Constitution
does not enumerate a judicial power to overturn the
acts of Congress.  It may be implied, but it is
certainly not expressed.  So, Rehnquist was wrong,
again.  The power to overturn acts of Congress WAS
at issue in Marbury v. Madison, and this power is not
expressed or enumerated in the Constitution.

p.s.  "one supreme Court" means 1, as in O-N-E.