Time: Sat Mar 22 15:26:09 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id MAA04338;
	Sat, 22 Mar 1997 12:08:35 -0700 (MST)
	by usr09.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id MAA02529;
	Sat, 22 Mar 1997 12:08:00 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 15:15:08 -0800
To: jus-dare@freedom.by.net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: Intent of Law is the Law

"A practice condemned by the Constitution cannot be saved
 by historical acceptance and present convenience."

                 [U.S. v. Woodley, 726 F.2d 1328, 1338 (1983)]

"It is obviously correct that no one acquires a vested or
 protected right in violation of the Constitution by long
 use, even when that span of time covers our entire national
 existence and indeed predates it."

                 [Waltz v. Tax Commission of New York City]
                 [397 U.S. 664, 678 (1970)]

... and even when the span of time is artificially, and
indefinitely, enlarged beyond the exigencies that most
surely accompany a legitimate "emergency."  The ambulance
comes;  the ambulance goes;  the children go back to
playing.  This is the cycle of life.  We do not rub the
children's noses into the ashes of a by-gone era.  The
children are free to explore those ashes on their own,
in due time, and as their own interests should motivate
them, or not motivate them.  It has taken me almost 50
years to develop an innate interest in American history.
Now, it is almost all that I do with my waking hours.
I will not tolerate some maniac urging me to drink again
from a well of blackness and despair.  These surely are
terms reserved for the "powers emergencies bring."  Let
us wave goodbye to the ambulance, and get back to the
business of living, and building a great nation, for all.

/s/ Paul Mitchell

In my mind, the PRINCIPLES upon which these two decisions
were based effectively destroy any vested or protected
"right" which might rely upon an indefinitely long
emergency for some sort of pseudo-authority;  of course,
such is no authority at all.