Time: Sun Mar 23 09:46:51 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id UAA06439
	for [address in tool bar]; Sun, 23 Mar 1997 20:48:22 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 09:22:52 -0800
To: liberty-and-justice@pobox.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: L&J: SLS: Common-law copyright
Cc: Richard Ginn <ginn@cornell.edu>

No, there is no such "ancient principle of law"
that correspondence belongs to the recipient,
once it is posted.  That may apply to the paper
it's written on, or to the disk drive it's stored on,
but the words themselves belong to the author,
and under the common law, that ownership lasts
forever.

Confer at "Common-law copyright" in Black's Law
Dictionary, Sixth Edition, to wit:

"Common-law copyright.

"Author's proprietary interest in his creation
before it has been published. ...

"Common law copyright is perpetual while statutory
copyright is for term of years."

/s/ Paul Mitchell