Time: Fri Mar 28 20:41:05 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id QAA23897
	for [address in tool bar]; Fri, 28 Mar 1997 16:09:42 -0700 (MST)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 17:58:17 -0500 (EST)
To: GovtAware-L@Citadel.Net
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: GovtAware:  leadership

I often wonder how many American men would
have what it took to conquer places like
Berlin, Paris, or Midway?

Many years after Iwo Jima, I happened to be
talking with my boss about my father's
experience in the Pacific front.  My boss
then told me that he had been a captain on one
of the battleships which bombarded Iwo Jima.

"How did you guys manage to get off so
 many salvos, in such a short period of time?"
I asked him.

He answered, "They loaded. I aimed the guns,
and I pulled the triggers.  That's how!"

"Wait a minute," I said.  "I thought the
captain's job was to sit up on the bridge,
directing the show, while everyone else
did the hard work?"

"Not me," he said.  "I didn't want a misfire
or poor aim to fall on the shoulders of any
man, except me.  So, they reloaded, while I
waited for spotters to guide me.  When we
had a window, as the listing ship came back
to dead center, I pushed the firing switch,
while everyone else watched."

"The ship would displace 3 feet of water,
every time we fired.  There were 4 turrets
with 3 12-inch guns each, and we had them
going non-stop during the invasion, dropping
salvos 1,000 yards in front of the advancing
Marines, from several miles out at sea."

"My men were the greatest.  I was never so proud
of them, for what they accomplished that day,"
he said.

I sat there in mute admiration.  Capt. Dan
was one the kindest, most gentle men you
could ever meet.  You can imagine what his
crew thought of him -- they were crazy about
serving under such a magnificent leader.

See what I mean?

And now I am inundated with yellow journalists
who can't wait to demand that I stop telling
them the truth.  These sewer rats would have
surrendered before the war ever started!