Time: Tue Apr 01 23:56:17 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id MAA23605;
	Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:51:41 -0700 (MST)
	id OAA28750; Tue, 1 Apr 1997 14:43:24 -0500 (EST)
	id OAA28746; Tue, 1 Apr 1997 14:43:23 -0500 (EST)
	id AA29628; Tue, 1 Apr 1997 14:43:22 -0500
	by usr10.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id MAA13509
	for <snetnews@world.std.com>; Tue, 1 Apr 1997 12:43:17 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 23:39:23 -0800
To: snetnews@world.std.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SNET: teenage tanning

->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List

Dear Teenagers,

I was dating a wonderful woman for
about two months last year, when it
became obvious that she did not want me
to touch her, or to discuss her
skin condition.  She had spent many
many hours in the sun, in her
20's and 30's, and now she was suffering
from a pre-cancerous skin condition
which made her extremely self-conscious,
and much less attractive than she would
have been, had she cared for her skin
properly all those years.  The subject was
also off-limits to any sort of rational,
adult conversation.  It was a shame;
she was so lovely in so many ways.

I bought her a wonderfully scented
skin cream once, just to break the ice,
and she turned into cold ice herself when I
handed it to her.  Perhaps you could forward
this story to all those young people who
think the unshaded sun is their friend.

Their future is bleak, if they persist in
succumbing to this irrational peer pressure.

>->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List

>NEWS FROM THE LIBERTARIAN PARTY
>2600 Virginia Avenue, NW, Suite 100
>Washington DC 20037
>For release: April 1, 1997
>For additional information:
>George Getz, Deputy Director of Communications
>Phone: (202) 333-0008 Ext. 222
>E-Mail: 76214.3676@CompuServe.com
>

>Libertarian Party demands: Declare war on teenage tanning!
>
>        WASHINGTON, DC -- Thousands of American teenagers are tanning
>themselves into an early grave -- while the government stands idly by,
>the Libertarian Party charged today.
>
>        "It's time to declare war on the Coppertone Girl!" demanded
>party spokesman Bill Winter. "Instead of wasting time on teenage
>smoking, politicians should focus on a real health crisis -- teenage
>tanning."
>
>        Recent news reports revealed that sales of low-SPF suntan
>products -- with little or no protection against the ultraviolet light
>that triggers tanning -- are soaring among young people. For example,
>the sales of low-SPF Panama Jack products surged by 40% in 1996, and
>no-SPF Banana Boat brand sales grew by 24%.
>
>        As a result, sunburn-related injuries jumped by 20% in some
>popular Spring Break locations like Panama City, Florida, as teenagers
>flaunt their bronze -- or bright pink -- rebellion against years of
>just-say-no-to-tanning medical advice. And because of the link between
>sun exposure and skin cancer, dark tans today will result in an
>explosion of melanoma in 20 or 30 years.
>
>        "Why hasn't Congress held hearings about how the $400-million
>tanning products industry exploits young people?" asked Winter. "And
>why hasn't the FDA regulated these low-SPF suntan products as dangerous
>sunshine delivery systems?"
>
>        But the news gets worse. Many teenagers are bypassing suntan
>lotion completely and slathering themselves with no-protection baby
>oil.
>
>        "Baby oil is the gateway drug to no-SPF tanning products,"
>accused Winter. "And once kids are hooked, suntan industry moguls lure
>them with enticingly named no-SPF products like Ultra Sun, Sizzle, and
>Equatorial Thrust. We must stop these death merchants before they hook
>another generation on dark, sexy tans!"
>
>        But tanning isn't the only teenage health epidemic ignored by
>politicians, complained Winter. For example:
>
>        * The number of overweight teenagers (12-17) has doubled since
>1980, from 6% to 12%. This trend puts millions of young people at
>future risk from strokes, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart
>attacks.
>
>        "It's time to mandate Surgeon General warnings on Big Macs and
>fried chicken," suggested Winter helpfully. "Or maybe we could send
>obese teenagers to government exercise camps."
>
>        * More teenagers are becoming "addicted" to the Internet. The
>American Psychological Association's Council on Addiction says
>excessive time in cyberspace is a growing "disorder," especially among
> [...]

->  Posted by: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]