Time: Tue Apr 15 09:18:23 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id IAA23124;
	Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:52:28 -0700 (MST)
	by usr03.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id IAA24867;
	Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:52:21 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 08:56:06 -0700
To: GkLtft@aol.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: Re: [LEADERS] SLS: 14th amendment [sic]

Your best best would be to begin understanding
the historical details first, by reading
Dyett v. Turner.  Then, jump to State v. Phillips,
and all the historical works cited in both of
those cases.  The two law journals go into
President Johnson's blistering veto message
against the Reconstruction Acts, which ordered
the President to send troops back into the
South.  Then you will appreciate that Congress
was dying to have its own herd of subjects,
and they worded the 14th amendment proposal
so as to elevate the 1866 Civil Rights to
the level of a constitutional authority.  However,
as the Dyett case shows, in excruciating detail,
the Union states rejected the plan outright.
That rejection was what motivated Congress to
retaliate, in the way they did (putting troops
BACK in 10 of the 11 southern states which had
joined the Confederacy).  The ONLY state which
was spared that invasion was the one state which
had voted to ratify the 14th amendment proposal.

There are much simpler ways to word the 14th,
so as to include blacks in the sovereign class
of state Citizens to which Dred Scott was denied
access.  Congress chose deception instead.
Sound familiar?