Time: Tue Apr 15 10:05:52 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id JAA20430
	for [address in tool bar]; Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:42:30 -0700 (MST)
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:57:12 -0700
To: kidogo@ionet.net (kidogo)
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: [LEADERS] [Brigade] FemFearing Military Leadership

If you want to hear the inside story of
flight deck operations, try to find someone
who has worked on the crash crew.  These guys
are routinely stationed at the base of the
aircraft carrier "island" -- the tower which rises
above the flight deck, with the bridge,
observation rooms, and electronic equipment.

Mistakes happen more often than you would
ever imagine.  I knew one crash crewman who
was at the island when a catapult failed,
pushing the Phantom F-4 off the end of the
deck, and into the ocean.  The crash crew
started sprinting immediately to the other
side of the deck.  As they were running full-speed,
the canopy flew up and away.  As they reached
the railing, they saw the pilot standing on
the right wing, helmet off, as the plane sunk.

When they had fished him out of the sea, they were all
amazed to realize that the pilot had saved himself,
but only with extremely fast moves.  He told
them, "I just followed my training to the tee,
and started unbuckling as soon as the soft shot
happened.  My left hand hit the canopy eject,
my right hand the quick release, and when I hit
the water, I was ready to climb out.  You guys
arrived, just as I was ready to take a little
pee in the Ocean.  I thought that was a little
better than peeing in my flight suit."

The crash crew were awe-struck, to the man.

They don't call it the "Danger Zone" for nothing
(a great song by Kenny Loggins for the movie
 "Top Gun";  the opening scenes should give you
 some idea about the danger involved in that work).

I get a lot of inspiration from Kenny Loggins.
He was supposed to be a Counselor at Law, and
I was supposed to be good looking, with a fabulous
voice.  Oh well, next time.