Time: Sun Apr 20 10:09:59 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id IAA24444;
	Sun, 20 Apr 1997 08:50:30 -0700 (MST)
	by usr06.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id IAA29566;
	Sun, 20 Apr 1997 08:48:47 -0700 (MST)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 10:05:51 -0700
To: <jaffe@globe.com>
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: "Reconstruct your records to avoid IRS spanking"

               [Please forward widely.]

Charles A. Jaffe
P.O. Box 2378
Boston 02107-2378/tdc
MASSACHUSETTS STATE
<jaffe@globe.com>

           Copyright 1997, The Boston Globe

Dear Mr. Jaffe,

Thank you very much for the insights you have provided
to us in the above entitled column, published in today's
Arizona Daily Star (April 20, 1997, Section F, Page Five).

I am sure that many will benefit from knowing what to do
when their records (and recollections) are not quite up
to Internal Revenue Service standards [sic].

Speaking of recollections, have you read the book by
Shelley L. Davis entitled "Unbridled Power"?  I would
be very curious to read your comments on her recollections
(or should that be "re-collections"?)

While we are on one of my favorite subjects, I would like
to pose a public challenge to you, right here on the
Internet, with thousands, maybe even tens of thousands,
of curious and motivated readers who are holding their
breath for an answer to the following question:

Can you please itemize for us the specific liability
statute(s) which impose subtitle A income taxes on
Citizens of the United States of America?

We are seeking statutes, not regulations, because without
statutes, the regulations are overly broad extensions
of "practice," without lawful authority.

We anxiously await your timely and considerate response.

p.s.  The IRS does not really spank people, do they?
Do we have any choice in the matter?  I know lots of
people who might prefer the spanking.  What about you?

                      #  #  #