Time: Wed May 28 10:31:50 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id KAA12700;
	Wed, 28 May 1997 10:02:11 -0700 (MST)
	id MAA25131; Wed, 28 May 1997 12:50:51 -0400 (EDT)
	id MAA25127; Wed, 28 May 1997 12:50:46 -0400 (EDT)
	id AA22056; Wed, 28 May 1997 12:50:39 -0400
	by usr01.primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with SMTP id JAA18273;
	Wed, 28 May 1997 09:49:25 -0700 (MST)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 09:56:23 -0700
To: snetnews@world.std.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLS: SNET: I.R.S. WAY out of control.....read on... (fwd)

->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List

The Petition Clause in the First Amendment
is the Right conservative of all other rights,
so says the Supreme Court in Chambers v.
Baltimore & Ohio R.R., 207 U.S. 142, 148 (1907).

When you lost your right to petition government
for redress of grievances, you lose all your
other rights along with that loss.

Think about it!

At 09:25 AM 5/28/97 PDT, you wrote:

>->  SearchNet's   SNETNEWS   Mailing List
>
>Just when you thought you heard it all, along comes THIS...
>
>A civics lesson from the IRS
>Dont call your congressman, agency warns couple
>

>SACRAMENTO -- John and Celeste Schleimer of Roseville, Calif., have been
through
>six years of excruciating negotiations, examinations and hearings with the
>Internal Revenue Service over an old tax debt for a period in which Mr.
>Schleimer suffered a severe business downturn.
>
>They dont dispute the debt. They want to work out a reasonable payment
plan. In
>particular, they dont think Mrs. Schleimer should be held responsible for
the
>tax debt of her husband for a period before they were married. Secondly, the
>couple would like some consideration given to the fact that Mr. Schleimer
was
>forced into bankruptcy since the tax debt was incurred.
>
>Not necessarily unique issues. In fact, thousands of Americans have been
through
>similar experiences with the IRS.
>
>But there is one thing different about this case -- some unusual IRS
>restrictions on the Schleimers free speech rights as a condition to halt
>collection of the tax debt. Specifically, in March 1996, the Schleimers
>attorney, Michael S. Noble of Sacramento, was told by an attorney for the
IRS
>that they expected his clients to cease communication with their elected
>representatives in Congress with regard to the case.
>
>A letter from Noble to the Schleimers dated March 27, 1996, states that
the IRS
>agreed to cease collection efforts against the couple for four months.
>
>In return, the letter states that the four-month period may be extended
if the
>IRS believes you are cooperating with them, Noble wrote. And how would that
>cooperation be measured?
>
>In my discussions with the IRS, they told me that they expected you to
cease
>correspondence with your congressional leaders, Noble wrote. If you did
not
>cease such correspondence, then they would not extend the stay on
collection.

>The Schleimers honored that agreement for more than a year. But, now,
because of
>what they see as a betrayal of the original agreement by the IRS, they
believe
>their only hope for justice may lie in an appeal to the public and their
elected
>representatives in Congress.
>
>The bottom line, in our opinion, is that we are being denied our
constitutional
>rights and are being targeted unfairly by the IRS, says Mr. Schleimer.
The IRS
>has repeatedly failed to follow even its own manual procedures and has not
>honored its agreements. I tried to work with them. I tried to play by their
>rules. Now I have no choice but to go public with this story.
>
>Last week, the Schleimers were notified of the most recent verdict in what
seems
>like an endless nightmare of hearings -- his bankruptcy will not be
honored by
>the IRS, and Mrs. Schleimers income and assets will be subject to seizure
for
>her husbands old tax debt.
>
>All of our attorneys, who themselves are former IRS officers or trial
lawyers,
>have repeatedly told us they have never seen a case like ours nor
witnessed the
>type of behavior that has been displayed by the IRS agents involved, said
Mr.
>Schleimer.
>
>Exclusive of penalties and interest, Schleimer has paid the IRS about
$50,000 of
>the $86,299 owed on the back taxes. But the debts of his old company
combined
>with the California real estate recession, Schleimer says.
>
>I made a mistake about my 1983-1989 personal taxes, but what makes this
country
>great is that you get a second chance to turn things around, said Mr.
>Schleimer. This greatness is one of the reasons it was an honor for me to
serve
>in the U.S. Army from 1966 to 1973 as an officer and decorated combat
helicopter
>pilot in Vietnam. Since 1990, with the great help and support of my wife,
>Celeste, I have paid all my taxes -- almost $400,000 -- and been a good
citizen.
>There was never any evasion on my part to hide assets or money from the
IRS. I
>have made a full disclosure to the IRS in attempting to resolve this
situation,
>but I see why this agency is so disliked by the American public.
>
>Representatives of the IRS were unable to discuss the case. But Shelly
Davis,
>the former IRS historian and author of Unbridled Power, said she had never
>heard of a case quite like this.
>
>Ive never heard of the IRS asking taxpayers not to communicate with their
>congressional representatives, but Im not surprised by it. Davis.
Theyll try
>anything. Its just another weapon in their vast arsenal.
>
>Schleimers congressional representative is not amused by the agencys
effort to
>squelch interaction between him and a constituent.
>
>These types of Gestapo tactics, if substantiated, are exactly the reason we
>should eliminate the IRS altogether, said Rep. John Doolittle, R-CA. The
IRS
>may not have wanted me involved in this issue, but their heavy-handed
approach
>toward one of my constituents will prove to have the opposite result.
Doolittle
>pledges to look into the case more thoroughly.
>

>Joseph Farah is editor of WorldNetDaily and executive director of the
Western
>Journalism Center, an indepedent group of investigative reporters.

>Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com
>
>-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to majordomo@world.std.com
>->  Posted by: "Brian Mosely" <bmosely@hotmail.com>

-> Send "subscribe   snetnews " to majordomo@world.std.com
->  Posted by: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]