Time: Wed May 28 15:01:47 1997
	by primenet.com (8.8.5/8.8.5) with ESMTP id KAA03984
	for [address in tool bar]; Wed, 28 May 1997 10:41:57 -0700 (MST)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 11:03:21 -0700
To: Birdtribes@uncle.montana.com
From: Paul Andrew Mitchell [address in tool bar]
Subject: SLF: Will Foster LTE draft

Dear Editor,

Imagine for a moment, if you will, the crime
which you consider to be the most despicable.
For me, that crime would be to kidnap a toddler
who is just beginning to walk, cut off his
legs with a dull hatchet, and stand there
while the toddler bled to death.

I am sorry if this story gives you shivers;
it certainly does the same to me.  But, rise
above this horror for a moment, and consider
the principle which is at work here.  Butchering
children is so horrific to most of us, because
it infringes on their basic Rights to life,
and liberty.  That child will never chase
butterflies, or sit enchanted by Mozart or
Beethoven -- never pursue happiness with the
rest of Us.

Now, having made the point about principles,
consider the horror that I feel when a medically
disabled man, with children of his own, must now
face the rest of his life in prison -- on a sentence
of 93 years -- for drying and smoking some vegetable
matter which the government prohibits, to its great
financial profit.

Do you think his children can ever be made
to understand the raw injustice of such a cruel and
unusual punishment?  Will their father be there for
them when they want to ask him how butterflies fly,
or Beethoven soared?  When you cut them off from
their father, you may as well have cut off their legs.

What kind of savage beasts do we have, sitting on
the benches of our courtrooms today, that such a
terrible thing should ever happen in this country?

You see, this is what happens when we, as a nation,
lose our principles.  When that loss sets in, only
the outer reaches of the universe are the new limits
to our bestiality and cruelty.

Please help us to release Will Foster.  He is a
father with children who need him, and he harmed
no one for the "crime" he committed.

Thank you.