For Immediate Release                                 May 6, 1998

        Paul Mitchell Assaulted by 4-Time Convicted Felon

AUSTIN, TEXAS.  Paul Mitchell, Counselor at Law, Federal Witness,
and Private  Attorney General,  was assaulted  today  by  a  lone
assailant in  a suburb  outside Austin, Texas.  After the evening
meal sponsored  by a  prominent  local  Methodist  church,  at  a
popular community  center, a  middle-aged man  named "Ed" without
provocation punched  Mitchell in the left temple, in a blind-side
attack while  he was  finishing dinner.   Mitchell was sitting on
landscape ties  near the  front door, plate in lap, because there
was no room inside at the dining table.

     While the assailant fled, Mitchell fell to the ground, blood
streaming from  his left  eye, and  pieces of  broken eye glasses
scattered around  the front  yard.   Police and  ambulance  crews
arrived immediately  and escorted  Mitchell to the emergency room
of the regional hospital, where an expert medical team discovered
trauma to  Mitchell's left eye socket, lacerations, and damage to
the iris  of his  left eye.  The damaged iris does not respond to
variations in  light intensity.    Mitchell  was  discharged  and
ordered to rest and see an eye  surgeon the following morning.

     The assailant is believed to have a prior criminal record of
four felony  convictions and a total of 15 years in state prison.
Ed is  legally blind  himself, and now receives SSI, food stamps,
and other  social services  from a  local Baptist  Church.   When
Mitchell sought  temporary  housing  assistance  from  this  same
church in  late February,  a seminary student introduced Mitchell
to Ed,  who had  just lost  his latest  roommate for  undisclosed
reasons.   Mitchell paid  the seminarian  $100 for  one week, and
occupied Ed's  second bedroom.    However,  neither  Ed  nor  the
seminarian would provide Mitchell with any house keys.

     During the  first week  of  March,  Mitchell  went  to  work
seeking job  interviews, and  came home  quite late  one freezing
night, after  pounding the  pavement on foot for most of the day.
Ed would  not open the door, forcing Mitchell to call the Baptist
seminarian, who  had the  only other  set of keys.  She, however,
did not  answer her  phone, and  did not  respond  to  her  pager
either, after telling Mitchell she answers every page.

     Mitchell, who  was phoning  from a local 24-hour convenience
store, returned  to the  apartment and tried once again to awaken
Ed, who  had mixed  alcohol and  sedatives before  going to  bed.
After rapping  sharply on  Ed's bedroom  window with  a car  key,
Mitchell did  finally awaken  Ed, who then opened the front door.
Mitchell said, "Hello Ed," and retired to the second bedroom.  Ed
said nothing.

     The  following   morning,  an   argument  ensued   after  Ed
eavesdropped on  Mitchell's stern  phone  conversation  with  the
Baptist seminarian, who proffered no good reasons for keeping the
keys.   Ed then  demanded that  Mitchell vacate  immediately, but
Mitchell refused,  at which point Ed called the police.  When the
police arrived,  they threatened to arrest Mitchell if he did not
disclose a  Social Security number.  Mitchell responded by citing
Public Law 93-579,  a  federal statute  in the  Privacy Act which
makes it  unlawful for  state officials  to punish any individual
for refusing  to disclose a SSN.  The second of two officers then
said, "Okay, Mr. Public Law, you are under arrest."

     Mitchell was  then booked  at the local county jail, but was
released within 5 hours,  after Sheriffs  Deputies confirmed  his
identity with the U.S. Marshals office in Austin and with a judge
on the Ninth Circuit who supervises Mitchell's litigation work.

     In related  developments, Mitchell  was terminated  recently
from the  graveyard shift at a local telephone answering service.
The service had just acquired a new client in a tow truck company
which receives  police dispatches  on a rotating basis.  Mitchell
objected strenuously  when a  co-worker instructed  him  to  give
absolute priority  to dispatching  tow trucks, without exception.
The answering  service handles  numerous emergency  calls from ER
and ICU  personnel at  the regional  hospital.  The owner, who is
also a  captain with  the local  city fire department, terminated
Mitchell without hearing Mitchell's side of the story.

     Mitchell responded  by serving  legal documents on the owner
and co-worker, including a Notice and Demand to Cease and Desist,
a Notice  of Intent  to File  Criminal Complaints,  and Offers in
Compromise and  to Hold Harmless.  Lacking proper legal training,
the owner  misunderstood these  three documents as "threats," and
lodged his own complaint with a local Justice of the Peace.

     Just prior  to Ed's  assault on  Mitchell, County Constables
politely escorted  Mitchell from  a local  library to  a  private
meeting with  the same  Justice of  the Peace.  In chambers, with
the Constables and Justice of the Peace present, Mitchell reached
a private  agreement to keep away from the answering service, but
preserved his right to sue for wrongful termination.

     The Justice of the Peace also agreed to secure the return of
some dishes,  gifted to  Mitchell by  another  co-worker,  and  a
loose-leaf copy  of "The Federal Zone" which Mitchell had printed
off the  Internet for  evidence in  future copyright  litigation.
America Online, Inc., with headquarters in Virginia,  has refused
to remove  an electronic  copy from their file servers, which was
stolen  and   hosted  there   without  the  author's  permission.
Mitchell authored "The Federal Zone" in 1992, under a pen name.

     Mitchell  took  note  that  he  received  no  legal  service
whatsoever of  any verified complaints or affidavits, even though
the Justice  of the  Peace said he had copies of same on his desk
during their  private meeting.  Moreover, no case number had been
assigned, and  no attorney was present to represent the Plaintiff
of record  -- the  State of  Texas.    After  that  meeting,  the
Constables politely  offered  to  escort  Mitchell  back  to  the
library, but Mitchell instead chose to confirm his agreement in a
written contract  which he presented to the Justice of the Peace,
who then thanked Mitchell for the gesture.

     Less than  3 hours  later, Ed  viciously attacked  Mitchell,
without provocation,  sending him to the hospital emergency ward.
Mitchell has requested financial assistance, no matter how small,
to help  defray the  medical expenses  of  the  eye  surgeon  and
hospital emergency  staff, who  completed a thorough professional
work-up without  delay.   Mitchell also  needs help to repair his
broken glasses,  and to  pay for  food and  overdue  rent,  while
resting under doctors' orders.  Donations can be made in cash, or
blank U.S. Postal Money Orders, to:

                        Supreme Law Firm
                     Medical Emergency Fund
                    c/o general delivery at:
                   2509 North Campbell Avenue
                        Tucson 85719/tdc
                          ARIZONA STATE

Donations are NOT tax-deductible [sic].

                             #  #  #

Return to Table of Contents for

Published Press Releases